Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramzez1974

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Hi there

Just joined

WHAT I DON'T WANT KNOW
First let me say that I am not interested in the differences between tags and keywords in relation to blogs, websites, SEO or internet marketing.

WHAT I DO WANT KNOW
I am interested specifically in tagging with tags and keywords using programs such as Leap (which I have) and many others.

WHAT I LEARNED DO FAR

I googled this question in several formats and didn't get a complete answer. What I surmised so far is that tags and keywords are not the same (in that they are two different kinds of meta information). But they are the same in that they add "tagging" information to any file so they can be used to find files more easily via programs like "Leap". That there is a new OSX standard protocol called metadata that was recently adopted that should standardize meta data so that all tagging done on one software will visible and editable in all others.

QUESTIONS

Does anyone have something new to add?
Are any of my conclusions wrong?

Ramzez the Imaginative
Imagine Peace and Love
http://rael.org

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
In many ways tags and keywords you assign are the same thing really. Something to help you find an item quicker.

For instance you could tag a set of files as "ProjectAlpha".

The real difference between the 2 if you can set both is how you use it.

ramzez1974

macrumors newbie
Original poster
In many ways tags and keywords you assign are the same thing really. Something to help you find an item quicker.

For instance you could tag a set of files as "ProjectAlpha".

The real difference between the 2 if you can set both is how you use it.

Thanks Bear

I got that. However for example Leap can only edit "tags" but not "keywords". ACDSee can edit keywords but they are not visible in Leap even if Leap can view other keywords but not edit them [I imagine they are using a proprietary metadata system].

Is there a keyword "standard" system?
Any programs can edit them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.