The difference between VGA and Video Card?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by musiqzuki, Feb 8, 2012.

1. musiqzuki macrumors member

Hey,

I don't know if I posted this in the right place...
    but if the VIDEO CARD/GRAPHICS card is fried, does that mean the VGA output port will not work as well?

when I turn on my laptop, I see a white screen, but I hear the OS sound loading and everything... I just can't do anything since I cannot see anything on the screen. I'm assuming the video card is fried, but I'm not sure...

I was hoping maybe plugging it to an external monitor would allow me to see my screen again.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

If the card is fried, if you have one, the output is probably fried to.

Do you have the 13" MacBook as stated in your profile, which is having the problem?
    Btw, it has a Mini DVI output.

Or is it another Mac, and if so, what exact Mac?

Have you tried any of these steps?

3. musiqzuki thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, this is a Windows Laptop...
    I was just thinking the problem seems like a general computer problem, so i posted here.

I forgot to mention, the Power Adaptor was kinda faulty.
    It would not charge sometimes, when plugged in...
    Suddenly when the Power Adaptor went off, my laptop also closed down, even when there was battery left.
    After that, the white screen just stays on whenever booted, but you can hear the Windows sounds loading in the background..

4. simsaladimbamba

If you know the model and brand of the laptop, why not look for a support forum for that brand (and maybe even model) and ask the question there, if you haven't found answer via searching? They are most likely to help you better, depending on the model and its age (though VGA is still widely used on modern laptops), than MacRumors can, as we don't know what model you are talking about.

Does that laptop still have warranty?

And if you still see an image (I just got that from your second post) on the internal display, the card is probably still okay. Maybe the HDD is failing or has failed or is corrupted. Can you boot from the Windows Restore/Recover CD/DVD for that computer?

5. musiqzuki thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your help.

It is out of warranty... so yeah.
    I'll try to find a way.
    If the video card is still ok, I may still be able to backup my files if I plug it through an external monitor...