Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crb824

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ok this has probably been answered 100x, however how much of a difference is there between the g4, g5, and the intel processors for macs? I have a dual g4 right now and my machine flies. I'm sure you can get faster, but at some point doesnt speed level off?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
they are simply different processors. im sure wikipedia has a great explanation of each one

well its not so much the speed but the requirements of the applications you need is what makes a computer out of date

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
I guess it depends on what you define as your machine flying. If you just use it for say word processing, music, web browsing, etc., a decent G4 will almost perform as well as an Intel processor. Of course, once you start doing heavy things like gaming, video editing etc., the Intel will have the G4 (and the G5) easily beaten.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yep different. Three different Chips coming from three different places.

G4 -- a 603/604 variant with an Altivec unit and cache scheme allowing multiple CPUs on the FSB. Designed by motorola/Freescale, the current variant is not much like the original G4 at all. Future CPUs won't be much like the current one. Almost like the Corvette has changed over the years.

G5 -- a Power4 cpu core with a Altivec unit, designed by IBM using a mainframe CPU core. Basically the Power4-Lite.

Intel -- an x86 cpu designed by Intel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.