The Digital Copy is Freakin' Sweet!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by skubish, Jan 20, 2008.

1. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I just got Family Guy: Blue Harvest yesterday. For those that don't know it is the first DVD that includes a digital copy. The digital copy is a separate disc. You just put it in the drive and iTunes opens, you enter the code that comes with the disc and it starts importing to iTunes.

I hope more movies start using this feature. It is really nice and it beats having to encode my dvds using Handbrake.

2. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

That's good, I can't wait to get a DVD and import it like it's music. :D

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I really didn't know about this but what a great idea!
    After cataloging my DVDs I wished I could just store them away. I like, and prefer, the physical DVD but I don't feel the need to display them. I would prefer to get something like that Sony 500 DVD changer, but having a digital copy that comes with the DVD would only support my desire to get the Apple TV.

4. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I'm doing mine now, but it seems like it's coming off iTunes store not the CD? What's the point of the CD ?

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The actual file is on the DVD. iTunes is just associating the file with your account, so that if you give the DVD to someone—they can't get a digital copy also.

6. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I had posted another thread asking if the quality was iTunes store quality or if they actually give you a good quality video with say 5.1 DD.

Got no response, can you provide this detail from the get info tab on iTunes?

7. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030

skubish

Its stereo no 5.1 but that may be dependent on the studio.

8. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

The windows version is on the disc, the iTunes version is downloaded from iTunes.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

10. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

could you also post the details form the get info like bitrate etc. Guess if they are really downloading from iTunes they are the same quality, but if on disc then it may be atleast DVD quality.

11. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

this is a great idea. hopefully it will become common practice.

12. gescom macrumors regular

gescom

What would be real sweet is if they did something like Delicious Monster to catalog your media and would then offer digital copy for the media that originally didn't have it with it. I have a lot of DVD's I would like digital copies of.

13. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Why not save the pressing costs and give the user a code which downloads it? Surely the time to make the artwork and media/packing is more costly than the bandwidth for a 500-800mb quicktime file?

14. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

If you want just the digital copy, then you can just buy it in iTunes. But if you want the physical DVD, but also want a digital copy on the computer, in the past you had to use Handbrake to rip/convert the DVD into a format usable by iTunes/AppleTV/whatever.

But now you don't need Handbrake, it's been given to you by the studio.

I, too, love this idea, but it's kinda useless to me, since I'll use Handbrake to rip the DVDs anyway. Handbrake enables me to encode subtitles into the movie, while iTunes doesn't provide any subtitles with it's movies.

15. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

This will be great when this becomes a standard across all DVD releases.

16. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Does the digital copy come on all versions that are out there (Regular Edition, Gift-Box Edition with glasses & T-Shirt, and the Blu-Ray version)?

17. mcoe19 macrumors newbie

mcoe19

The UK version was released today I think, anyone able to tell me if the digital copy is on it? I'm guessing not but it'd be awesome if it was.

18. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030

skubish

Sure

bitrate 124kbps
    Total bitrate 1451kbps
    Channels: Stereo
    Resolution: 640x480
    Video Codec: H.264
    Profile: low complexity

And to another person's comment. The video is definitely being transferred from the disc. It was not downloading it from the internet. This is on a Mac.

19. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

Hmm not quite DVD. Looks like standard iTunes Video format. Good enough though. :)

20. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

What about that makes it "not quite DVD"? Is it the bitrate or the resolution?

21. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

I got the UK version today. I got the box set with the t-shirt, 3D glasses, collector cards and the limited edition UK special complete lack of digital copy.

Looks like we have to still handbrake this one. Look at it this way, we might not have a digital copy but apple would only have charged us 30 to 40% more for it :p