The Dilemma of Buying a Notebook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zer0tails, Dec 30, 2008.

1. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

thanks for reading, and appreciate any opinions, thoughts and advice.;)

I need a notebook pretty badly, and am caught in the dilemma between the classic macbook pro 2.5 and the unibody 2.53 macbook pro. which to choose?

1. The display. I really like the classic MBP's matte screen because I get headaches after extended use on the previous glossy screen. Not sure about the new glassy screen, but i'm assuming it'll be just as bad since it's so reflective.

2. The keyboard. I really, really like and am used to the chicklet keyboard which, i use at home with my mac pro. The classic MBP's keyboard cramps my typing, and work flow i find.

so there you have it. The dilemma comes down to a matte screen and a chicklet keyboard. They're both important to me, and if forced to choose, i wouldn't know which to pick, so what would you do? :p

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Wait until the new Unibody 17" Macbook Pro's come out in a few days as i expect and get one

i am

=]:apple:

3. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

17" is too big for me. But i'm excited nonetheless to see what Apple does with them!

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

the thing is the glossy screen on the new MBP's is uber glossy, its just like a liquid screen, so if you really hate the gloss and its something you cant bear, perhaps your better off getting a slightly older one, the keyboards in my opinion are hardly different, except the new ones i think are slightly louder.

5. jfox8 macrumors newbie

When I got my older Macbook Pro, it took time to get used to the keyboard. After awhile it became second nature to type on it. I really think the screen is the most important factor to take into consideration. In your case I would get the older Macbook Pro.

6. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

cheers, and thank you. Yes, i figure I would get used to it, however, if i'm using that keyboard by day and the chicklet keyboard by night..i'm not sure if i'll ever be able to get used to it. i'm just weird i guess :eek:

I know the display is one of the most important factors in any decision as you stare at it constantly. However, I think keyboard warrants a mention too since it's one of the primary input devices, you can't escape it.

7. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

Get the older MBP and an external apple keyboard (new chiclet style). I use that setup and it's great.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That sounds like good advice, and in your situation, it is what I would also recommend. I have a MBP (April 2008) and love both the keyboard and the matte screen.

Cheers and good luck