The dilemma of non-plus users (camera)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pika2000, Sep 17, 2017.

1. pika2000 macrumors 601

Since Apple focused on the Plus models to put new camera features like portrait mode and studio lighting mode, it feels that non plus users are in dilemma if they want an upgraded camera experience without having a large phone.

6S to 7 to 8 don't seem to bring too huge of an improvement for the camera outside OIS on the 7. The only significant upgrade would be the X (for a similar sized phone).

Le sigh
    More reason to wait till 2018 :)

2. Nozuka macrumors 68020

i don't think 2018 will change anything about that... ;)
    the best camera will most likely stay on the X

3. pika2000 thread starter macrumors 601

Well, hopefully by 2018, the X form factor will be for the normal iPhone with the dual camera.

4. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

Very difficult to speculate this early but Apple may drop the price of the IPhone X by $100 and fill the price gap at $899. Whatever camera in the “regular” iPhone at $699... who knows what that would look like ?

5. frscl macrumors newbie

I thought about it and I decided that Portrait Mode is completely useless to me. These lightning effects are ridiculous and certainly not worth the price. To me, it's as useful as Animoji. Personal opinion.

We'll see everybody using these effects the first weeks to flex on social media. Everybody will have a profile picture with that black and white studio effect. Then maybe people will forget about them in the coming months. I don't think these effects will help to improve people's creativity. It's just a gadget. Maybe I'm wrong

When I take pictures I don't use filters, and if I do I apply light changes like the "Auto-enhance" feature. That's why I pre-ordered iPhone 8 coming from a 6S

6. pdxmatts macrumors 68000

pdxmatts

And don't forget that Apple hasn't changed the 1334 x 750 pixel resolution since the 6, while the Plus models have 1920 x 1080

7. pika2000 thread starter macrumors 601

Well, the resolution thing doesn't bother me actually. 1080p on the Plus version only tax the GPU as it needs to render the UI twice (compared to the non-plus version). As long as it's retina, it's good enough for me. :)

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That’s really the biggest appeal of the X to me. The size of the plus is too large, but I really want the camera of the plus. Apple knows what they are doing by limiting the camera on the 8. It is the sole reason I want the X over the 8

9. mrklaw macrumors 68020

Agree they’re aren that useful, but I would like the more telephoto lens Asmara I don’t like how wide the current camera is. Plus other apps may do better things with the depth information

This, plus the larger screen in a similar sized body, are pushing me towards the X. That and the fact that the 8 is too similar to my 6s (although a grippier back sounds good)

10. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

+1

I can't physically handle the size of the Plus, so the only way I can get the OIS and other camera features is by getting the X. I really like the bezel-less front and larger display, but the camera is a huge selling point for me.

11. drygioni macrumors member

https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-8/specs/

If you mean optical image stabilisation, it's apparently on both. I'm slightly annoyed that they couldn't fit the X camera on the 8, but it's still an upgrade on my 6.

I did read something about the A11 helping out the camera, not sure how.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

IMO it has been annoying since they announced the plus that it has a better camera. Not everyone wants a phone that large. They should be identical minus the screen.