Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsxr370

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
The video feed is horrible. I'm on wifi and I can barely tell I'm watching football!!

tulanejosh

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2009
could be a case of where you are too... i know that where i am, the feed started out bad on 3g but the longer i had it on the better looking it got. I'm pretty satisfied - it's a good 10 minute solution when i have to run to the store for beer.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Its pretty hard to stream video over a bad connection. If your wifi is anything less than 2Mb/s download forget about it. And until AT&T and Verizon role out the LTE 4G networks we can only dream about 1Gb/s download speeds stationary and 100MB/s download speeds moving which IMO are pretty damn theoretical....

logicalcuisine

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
Why does MLB at Bat resolution look incredible compared to Directv's NFL app? I think the Directv feed has a problem. I have 5 bars of 3G and a 2.6M/sec Wifi connection and NFL suck and MLB looks like close to HD.

C2x954

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
South FL
Why does MLB at Bat resolution look incredible compared to Directv's NFL app? I think the Directv feed has a problem. I have 5 bars of 3G and a 2.6M/sec Wifi connection and NFL suck and MLB looks like close to HD.

I have to agree, it doesn't look nearly as good as MLB at bat, but it beats having to be stuck at work reading reloading mobile web pages for updates.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Sorry to hear it sucks.

If it's that much of a concern to you guys, you may want to look into a Slingbox and SlingPlayer Mobile.

Though I don't have Sunday Ticket, I do get to watch all of my DirecTV channels and it works very well.

Drawback: the box and app will set you back roughly $150.

Advantage: all of your programming whenever you like; on your iPhone (jailbreak for use with 3G), desktop or laptop (PC and Mac). Anywhere that has internet access.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
I don't have direct tv with the nfl package but my family members do. If I get their passwords can I use this app at no cost to them.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I don't have direct tv with the nfl package but my family members do. If I get their passwords can I use this app at no cost to them.

Yes this is what I did yesterday. My dad has Sunday Ticket and superfan (superfan is required to watch live games) and he gave me his direct tv email and password and the app worked great. Although you will be subject to blackouts based on the subscribers address.

GutBomb

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2002
Outside Boston
Yes this is what I did yesterday. My dad has Sunday Ticket and superfan (superfan is required to watch live games) and he gave me his direct tv email and password and the app worked great. Although you will be subject to blackouts based on the subscribers address.

Superfan is required to watch in HD, not live games. You can watch live games without Superfan.

amann76

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
MacWorld USA
i'm surprised the nfl didnt develop an app more along the lines of the mlb 2009 app. That has to be one of the best i apps i own.

DamFu

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
i'm surprised the nfl didnt develop an app more along the lines of the mlb 2009 app. That has to be one of the best i apps i own.

That is because they have an exclusive agreement with Sprint.

The app works great for me. Takes about 10 seconds to fully render the video but after that, the video quality is pretty good for me. I had expected some lag but was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't. If you have the Sunday Ticket but not Superfan, it is pretty easy to get it for free. Just call them up and tell them you pay to much for your bill or something like that and they will give it to you. I have gotten it the last 2 years without paying a cent and I know others that have done the same.

Thrilledge

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Lets keep in mind it was the weekend. I expect it will get better. MLB was horrible the first couple times

orrelse44

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Lets keep in mind it was the weekend. I expect it will get better. MLB was horrible the first couple times

Also, it was a free preview weekend. I'm sure that had to do with some of the shaky comm issues. Overall, I had a decent "picture" on my phone once the stream buffered a little bit. It was definitely better over wi-fi than 3G though.

I'm gonna hold judgement until this weekend.

Thrilledge

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Update just dropped. This is what I meant by it just being the first weekend.
They probably have to workout the kinks

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Are games that are national games like the Bears/Packers last Sunday and MNF not supposed to be viewed on the app? Last week all the games I tried worked fine but I couldn't watch the Bears/Packers game or either MNF game.

Motorheadbanger

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2009
Are games that are national games like the Bears/Packers last Sunday and MNF not supposed to be viewed on the app? Last week all the games I tried worked fine but I couldn't watch the Bears/Packers game or either MNF game.

That's correct, no nationally televised games will be broadcast on Sunday ticket(ST), therefore they won't be available on the supercast(SC) app either. Also, if your local network is televising a game from your local market that game won't be available on ST or SC either. From DIRECTV's website, "Because of NFL and broadcast network requirements outside of DIRECTV's control, games broadcast by your local FOX or CBS station will not be available on channels in the 700s. You must tune to your local FOX or CBS station to watch those games. DIRECTV is required to enforce this rule to ALL of its customers, including customers in areas where DIRECTV does not offer local channels."

Jordb2k10

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Ok I have a question that I need help with and everyone at work is counting on me to help. I have the sunday ticket app through a friends direct tv login so I've not used it yet to vouch for quality. My question is does the app support video out to a tv at our work we don't have reception for games so they are hoping i can stream the game and av out to a tv. I should also say I only have 3G not wifi at work so if sling box is a better option then I might go that route...please advise! Thanks!!

luvsoccer

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
Last year was better for sure -- the quality was very good for me. This past Sunday the quality was horrible for me. I tried on both 3G and on a solid WiFi connection and the picture was still blocky and pixelated.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Ok I have a question that I need help with and everyone at work is counting on me to help. I have the sunday ticket app through a friends direct tv login so I've not used it yet to vouch for quality. My question is does the app support video out to a tv at our work we don't have reception for games so they are hoping i can stream the game and av out to a tv. I should also say I only have 3G not wifi at work so if sling box is a better option then I might go that route...please advise! Thanks!!

To the best of my knowledge the app doesn't support video out, though the latest news regarding AirPlay sounds promising.

I do think Slingbox is the better option, in the long run. You're given many more options and the service has done me well since I joined a couple of years ago. It renders many other options nearly useless, as far as I'm concerned. I suggest looking into it.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.