Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aiterum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
United States
I am trying to burn a DVD of files I want to back up from my computer, and it gives me this error when I try to burn a DVD from the folder that my files are in. Finder gives no mention that there is a DVD in the DVD-drive, but it does pop-up with a message recognizing that a DVD was inserted initially. My drive has been working fine in the past, so this is something that has just recently happened to my computer. Does anyone have any ideas about this? My computer specifications are in my signature below and I'm running leopard 10.5.6.

The specific error message that I get is this "the disc could not be used because the disc drive is not supported." I did a google of this, but the results turned up stuff relating to 10.3 and 10.4, neither of which being relevant to my situation

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Yeah, the only time I would see this was pre-Leopard, and then when a third party optical drive was installed as a replacement. In those cases the drive would still work for basic burning functions through the Finder, however, an app called PatchBurn would have to be applied to get the drive be recognized in applications, such as through the iLife suite.

With 10.5 I don't believe it is an issue anymore.

I would do the basics, and lean towards a software issue at first. Used compressed air in the drive (careful!), repair permissions/disk and clean caches out (leopard cache cleaner, onyx, or cocktail can do these), possibly even create a new user and try it out there to rule out a problem there (though I wouldn't imagine that to be the case). Or, jump straight to performing an Archive and Install or a backup/clean install. Those two would ultimately rule out any software issues at hand, which would lean towards it being a hardware issue of some type.

These are just some basics I'm throwing out as I'm not familiar with anything specific for that error.

aiterum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
United States
okay well the problem seems to have resolved itself because i was able to get a DVD to burn this morning all of a sudden. I had restarted and reset the PRAM earlier yesterday and that hadn't worked, but when I opened it from sleep this morning it worked fine, so I have no idea what happened to the drive and why it is all of a sudden starting working again, but I am not complaining at this point (unless of course, it happens again)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.