Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
Not sure if this is the best place to post, but since I'm running ML, here goes.

Every time I come back to my iMac (27 inch) after being away a little while (and screen save is on). I get the error "The Disk was not Ejected properly…" But when I go look at my disks in finder they all appear to be connected just fine. Is there anyway to look at some log file somewhere to see which hard drive is causing this error? (I have a few external drives connected).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
How are the external drives connected (i.e., via USB? via firewire?)

It's possible you have a connecting cable with a weak connection.

It may have something to do with the Mac's "sleep/wake" cycle...

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It's common...depending on your energy settings, your external drives will try to sleep....Even if they are connected, they will show as improperly ejected...If I'm using either of my two 4TB ( one is Thunderbolt RAID0, the other is a 7200 Seagate) I tend to have my power settings as the image suggests.

Not ideal, and to be frank, I don't think that the error message indicates damage but I take no chances...too much data invoked...so:

I use this if streaming etc to avoid accidental disk ejects...I have a script that I can run to prevent HDD's from sleeping at all, but haven't really needed it since 10.9.2

Attachments

• PS.jpg
    PS.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 348

Ryan700

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
Canada
Re:The disk was not ejected properly

It's common...depending on your energy settings, your external drives will try to sleep....Even if they are connected, they will show as improperly ejected...If I'm using either of my two 4TB ( one is Thunderbolt RAID0, the other is a 7200 Seagate) I tend to have my power settings as the image suggests.

Not ideal, and to be frank, I don't think that the error message indicates damage but I take no chances...too much data invoked...so:

I use this if streaming etc to avoid accidental disk ejects...I have a script that I can run to prevent HDD's from sleeping at all, but haven't really needed it since 10.9.2

I have a different Energy Saver window without the Hard drive slider. Any way to set this up on mine? I have the same problem.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 12.36.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 12.36.56 PM.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 271
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.