"The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cmac1, Nov 11, 2011.

1. cmac1 macrumors newbie

Hi

I've been using a recently bought Integral USB for storing documents for several months.

It had been working fine on my macbook pro but today when i inserted it the message "The disk you inserted is not readable by this computer" came up. I am given the option to initialise, ignore or eject. When I click initialise, and choose my pendrive, I cannot click on the option "repair disk" as it shows up in grey.

I've tried it on a PC as well but when I do a message comes up asking me to format it.

I used the USB to transfer files from a PC to my macbook yesterday however it was working fine on my macbook since then, with the problem only arising today.

Does anybody know how I can retrieve my files?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You used it the day before the glitch to transfer files between a Mac and a Windoze machine. So, the files are still on one or both machines, aren't they? Or perhaps there are more files that you left on the flash drive? Do those files exist on one of the computers? If so, post them to an online storage site, then buy an new flash drive.

3. cmac1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Gregg 2,
    Thanks for the reply- there were more files stored only on the flash drive however I already had most of the contents backed up so not too much damage. Just bought a new flash drive :) It'll teach me to be more careful in future. Thanks again :)