The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dnaimagery, Jul 20, 2012.

1. dnaimagery, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2012

dnaimagery macrumors newbie

I have a Seagate Freeagent Goflex Desk External Drive 3TB and it was working fine a week ago, but when I go to plug it into my Macbook Pro 15in mid-2010 model I get the following message:

"The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer."

with the options to "initialize", "ignore", or "eject".

I searched the forums & saw a few people had some answers, so I tried using disk utility & terminal to restore the GPT headers, but I got this message in terminal when I tried that.

------------------------------------------
    sudo gpt recover /dev/disk3s3

gpt recover: /dev/disk3s3: no primary or secondary GPT headers, can't recover
    DNA-Imagery-MBP:~ DNA$
    ------------------------------------------

Does anyone else have any suggestions on what I can do or what the next step will be? I have important files I need to access & I can't have my external harddrive down like this. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

You need to look into data recovery? Software or a service, its up to you.

3. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

One of the first things to do when suspecting a disk corruption is to try it a few times and to try it with a different computer. Not sure if you did that, but it could be worth a try.

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

Ive had this happen and jiggering the connection resolved it in one case. Otherwise, I suspect that differences in controllers of moving the drives to new enclosures contribute to this issue.