The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 16bitsystems, Oct 9, 2012.

1. 16bitsystems macrumors newbie

I've read about this problem a bit and followed some instructions and still have no solution. Here's a quick run down.

I have a 250 GB western digital external hard drive. I used it last night. It has all of my DV footage on it (i make films). I ejected it. I tried to use it tonight and I got the message "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer".

I went to disk utility and could see it on the left side. It was greyed out and said it was not mounted.

I read that diskwarrior was the way to go. So I got that. I have 4.3. When I run it it shows the drive, but the graph and rebuild options are greyed out. I tried to follow the directions to save the info and copy it somewhere else but I can't figure it out. when I looked at the drive info in diskwarrior it says "directory cannot be rebuilt, the file system is unsupported." below that it says "this is not a macintosh disk. this disk does not appear on the desktop".

Under advanced it says the drive format is "FDisk Partition Scheme" and the file system is "Windows/PC".

I did get the drive originally from my brother who used it on his pc. But i don't see why this would be an issue since I've been using it for over a year on my macbook.

Any ideas?

2. hackerwayne macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

Disk warrior can only recover disk thats in HFS or HFS+. The disk you have seems to be either NTFS or FAT which is a Windows partition. You can try to use Disk Drill which will recover NTFS files or if you have Windows machine around you can try Acronis

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You ejected it but probably the system didn't do a full eject and when you pulled the plug it was still available to the System, therefor you got an error when inserted again.

Do you use this disk exclusively for this Mac, if so I recommend you to use HFS+, but then you need to backup your files first.

Do you have bootcamp/Windows on your Mac, if so start up from there and repair in Windows.

4. 16bitsystems thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't have windows on my mac. i tried plugging the drive into a pc and it didn't even give me an error message. the drive didn't make any noises like it does when i plug it into my macbook. i tried plugging it into my imac and it didnt give me an error message either. it just made this clicking noise over and over every 2 seconds or so.

i did get disk drill and that let me look at the drive. i tried to save the data by creating an dmg file but i dont have enough free space to do that. i'll try again after i get a new drive. i'm pretty sure i have all that stuff backed up on my other hard drive, so if it's a total loss it probably won't be that big of a deal. i'd just like to be sure before trashing the drive.

thanks for the responses :)