The display in the new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c8y, Dec 8, 2016.

1. c8y macrumors newbie

A week ago I bought a nTB MBP. I love the form factor, I like the device in many ways, but the display bothers me somehow.
    I cannot find a comfortable brightness level, especially in the evening. It is either too dim or too bright and hurts my eyes.
    Has anyone experienced something similar? Or it is just me - my device or my eyes?

The other thing is the refresh rate. Sometimes it feels like it's refreshing with the lower rate. I started googling and found that the new panels use a variable refresh rate to save the battery. Do you notice something similar on your Macbooks?

2. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I have the 15" tb mbp and I usually ran my brightness on my 2015 13" at 40% but on this laptop Im running at 60%

3. c8y thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe I should have been more precise, I was talking about 2016 13-inch non-touchbar MPB. 2014 MBP I have at work is perfectly fine.

4. skids929 macrumors 6502a

skids929

Yes, I find this to be a minor annoyance of this laptop. Not sure what it is, it feels washed out to me from the factory and I am not confident in how to adjust the color setting to my liking. But I know what you are referring to, I feel the same way at time.

Although, disclaimer I am awaiting my first set of glasses to come in so I will reserve judgement until then. But it does seem a little washed out, and I don't see how anyone could look at this screen at fill brightness because it would burn out my retinas. Maybe thats why they refer to it as a Retina display.

5. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I have the same issue at night. It's not comfortable on the eyes at all. This has now turned into my biggest annoyance and am considering returning the system.

6. cochillin macrumors newbie

I have been experiencing the same thing. The display strains my eyes, and I continuously toggle the brightness back and forth. I did not have these issues with my 2012 MBP so I figured it was my eyes adjusting to the Retina Display. It has been two weeks of this eye strain and it is not noticeably better.

7. Dick Whitman macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

8. David58117 macrumors 65816

The "Dark Room" setting is the only thing I use F.lux for. It turns everything red/black, which is much easier on the eyes at night.

I think Shady is better, as it actually allows the display to be lowered further than the default limit.

9. Dick Whitman macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

Thanks for the pro tip. Usually I just use the recommended colors but I will try the dark room setting.

10. c8y thread starter macrumors newbie