The dissing of Dell's

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
6,564
131
Texas, unfortunately.
I'm actually getting a little tierd of people saying Dell's are all crap. They're actually all my parents buy. They're pretty stable, but they do need service a few times a year (And this is just because our internet provider has some SERIOUS issue's.)

Does anyone remember the Dell's of the 90's? these things actually worked. Hell, I got one with Windows 95 (the only windows system I trust) I use regulary for word processing, music and old skool games. In fact, link

I've never used a Dell laptop, but they can't be as bad as people on this forum say.

If Dell's were really as bad as this forum suggests, they'd go the way of Packard Bell's REAL fast. To still be in bussiness, people still have to buy them. and they do.

Let the flaming begin.:D
 

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
1,904
68
In persona non grata
I had a Dell laptop, it wasn't all bad. The CD rom crapped out after a year, but other than that the only thing I didn't like about it was the kludgy, clumsy OS.
 

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
1,144
0
New York
Cassie said:
No one really, but you don't see people ragging on Gateway's much in the forum.
right, but a lot more people have dells than do gateways; i.e: bigger target.

why do you care anyways? seems kinda pointless to get defensive about dells just because your parents buy them, and you have one from 10 years ago that still works. you're on a mac forum, what do you expect, people who love pc's?
 

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
3,859
3
Cassie said:
I've never used a Dell laptop, but they can't be as bad as people on this forum say.

If Dell's were really as bad as this forum suggests, they'd go the way of Packard Bell's REAL fast. To still be in bussiness, people still have to buy them. and they do.
Dell are actually going the way of Packard Bell.

Let's put this in context, my Dad, and a friend of mine both bought Dell Latitude 510m laptops at the same time (give or take a few weeks).

My dad has hardly used the Dell, in fact it's only been on for about 10 hours since he's had it. It's booted up a grand total of 8 times. It now needs a motherboard replacement, and the hard drive is failing.

My friend, however used the machine a little bit more. In the space of just over a year, he had the motherboard replaced three times, two hard drives, numerous re-installations of Windows (due to corrupt data on the HDD etc...), a display replacement, an internal power supply replacement, a complete rebuild and a latch replacement. This was all done under warranty, but just after the 1 year warranty ran out, the backlight failed and the power button spazzed up. You basically have to put your whole weight onto the power button to get it to start up. It always beeps really loudly while the BIOS is booting, the backlight replacement will cost something stupid like £350 and the power button isn't replaceable as Dell discontinued the 510m just before this happened.

He's moved from a Dell to a MacBook, so far he's already had less (no) problems and he's loving it.
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,400
489
NorCal
w_parietti22 said:
The only thing Dell that I like is their Displays.
True, their displays actually aren't that bad.

Cassie said:
No one really, but you don't see people ragging on Gateway's much in the forum.
Could be because the majority of people who own PCs have a Dell instead of another brand like Gateway. So maybe Dell is just a bigger target for criticism? :confused: :) (haha, just saw plinkoman's reply after I typed that ;))

I've never owned a Dell so I can't really comment on them. People I know have them. But in the end it boils down to the OS and the person using it. I have an older Windows laptop from early 2002 from Compaq running XP and it actually runs ok. Just got to make sure you maintain it ok like don't do questionable behavior online, run adaware, AV software, don't install junk on it. Of the PCs I've seen recently that weren't mine, they really needed some work done. They ran horribly slow and just had junk all over the place. Of course part of that reason is because the user(s) don't take the time or may not know how to properly take care of their PC.
 

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
6,564
131
Texas, unfortunately.
Killyp said:
Dell are actually going the way of Packard Bell.

Let's put this in context, my Dad, and a friend of mine both bought Dell Latitude 510m laptops at the same time (give or take a few weeks).

My dad has hardly used the Dell, in fact it's only been on for about 10 hours since he's had it. It's booted up a grand total of 8 times. It now needs a motherboard replacement, and the hard drive is failing.

My friend, however used the machine a little bit more. In the space of just over a year, he had the motherboard replaced three times, two hard drives, numerous re-installations of Windows (due to corrupt data on the HDD etc...), a display replacement, an internal power supply replacement, a complete rebuild and a latch replacement. This was all done under warranty, but just after the 1 year warranty ran out, the backlight failed and the power button spazzed up. You basically have to put your whole weight onto the power button to get it to start up. It always beeps really loudly while the BIOS is booting, the backlight replacement will cost something stupid like £350 and the power button isn't replaceable as Dell discontinued the 510m just before this happened.

He's moved from a Dell to a MacBook, so far he's already had less (no) problems and he's loving it.

Sounds like defective laptops.

I guess the whole thing is, some mac users assume this happens to every PC, every time. Just like what PC users think about Macs.

Go to a PC forum, and you'd see exactly the oppisate of what we're saying here. I'm just tierd of it.

Yes, call me a whiner. But we've heard enough bad coments about PC's. We get the point.
 

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
2,837
1
A religiously oppressed state
Dell's are not crap. Every PC I've owned had been a Dell and they've never had a problem other then the normal Windows issues and I bent some pins on the processor which obviously killed it. They are cheaper then other PC but in no way crap.
 

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
1,802
0
London Town
Dell's only ever seem to range from OK to awful, in my experience. If all you're looking for is a beige box that will get you onto the internet and let you run Word and Excel, then Dell's are the way to go. Cheap and cheerful - it won't set the world on fire, but if the above are what you need, then you don't need it to.

On the other hand, the two most recent Dell purchases made by my family have been pretty awful. The first, my sisters laptop, just feels so horribly designed and cheap. It has no redeeming aesthetic qualities, which is no bad thing in itself (some people really don't care about aesthetics); but it is really just badly built. After less than two years there are already bits of plastic and metal hangin off it, and it will no longer close. It's also big and clunky. On the other hand, my parents bought a 'lifestyle' PC from Dell - and it's just horrendous. Ugly, noisy, unstable, hot - and the wireless keyboard and mouse thrown in with it are just unworkable unless you're right next to the unit!

Dell - a mixed bag. It serves its purpose. And nothing more.
 

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
1,962
0
Dells are very nice computers. The OS is why many choose Apple over Dell. If you ask many Apple owners what PC they would buy (if they had to) most would probably say Dell.

(It might be a tie between Dell and IBM, actually, at least for notebooks.)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.