The docks reflectivenes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by applefan69, May 27, 2008.

1. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

Im just wondering, cause I was playing with the dock earler today in leopard. I find it so amazing neat how the dock can reflect ANYTHING above it, including windows/icons anything that you have over the dock.

Im aware this dosnt really serve practical use, but it looks so awesome, im wondering is there a way to hack the dock and steal that reflective effect to use it in other things?

Imagine a desktop background that acts like a giant mirror?(we could finally see whats on the back of OS X windows :p haha, imagine its soemthing like the back of an iPod :D jk im not that n00by) Or something along those lines, idk just somethin I think would be neat and with all these creative developers could be used in awesome ways.

2. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

That would require something more than a desktop. It may involve using some sort of screensaver as a wallpaper, which some programs out there can do. The problem with the mirror is that the backs of windows don't really exist. Plus, how would you see the mirror image of a window if the window itself is covering up the reflection? The dock simply takes what is above it, dims it, and reflects it 180 degrees. I don't see why you would need this for anything else.

3. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

What if, by using the iSight camera, it reflected your surroundings, with a ripple effect to fake water?

4. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

What if, by using the iSight camera, it reflected your surroundings, with a ripple effect to fake water?

5. mach macrumors regular

The Xbox Live Vision camera does something to that effect, one of the background options if you have the Camera for the dashboard can be a ripply reflection of whatever the camera is looking at.

As for the dock question, no idea, but it is a very cool feature.