The (Don't Yawn!) Fuel Economy thread!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dazzer21, Jul 14, 2008.

1. dazzer21 macrumors 6502

The credit crunch is now with us and petrol aint cheap no more. So...

What do you drive, and what is the most mileage you've eek'd out of a full tank? I'll start...

I drive a 2006 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 SXi. I've just manages 479 miles on a full tank. Don't know what that is mpg-wise. I do roughly 80 miles a day to and from work.

That's doing nothing over 55mph on motorways (annoys lorry drivers no end, especially on hills!) and coasting down hills in gear - going to do a comparison using coasting in neutral when I can.

Over to you...

2. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

there is a new fad called hypermiling (google it i'm too lazy). its basically how people are getting more out of their mileage by coasting, and using cruise control etc.

i coast about 3 miles a day on some inclines near my house- out of gear. im sure it saves some gas.. not sure about the amount though.

3. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

I read about hypermiling a little bit ago (I think it was on wired.com) and I've been doing it around town. It is really funny to watch these huge SUVs with V8s hit the gas just to get to a red light while I coast up to the light right next to them.

I've found that I'm not as angry about driving in the city anymore - it's a much more relaxing state of mind. Unfortunately I drive in North Philly a lot (not the best area) and I'll probably get shot while coasting by some F-head in a hurry to get to the next red light.

I've got the 2.0T direct fuel injected engine from the VW group. Love it.

4. idyll macrumors 6502

I'm guessing those of you that coast have manual transmissions?

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have a 4 cylinder Toyota Camry. I average around 30/31 mpg in highway driving. I get around 22/23 mpg in city driving.

6. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

i drive a 2001 Honda Civic EX sedan....in normal combined driving, i average 32 mpg or so.

on long trips, i can get 42/43 mpg from a full tank. :D

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well, i used to drive an 06 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner - 4 cylinder. over the life of the truck, i averaged 24.5 mpg. i had a thing called a 'scangauge', which told me my mpg in real-time. it's a great tool.

bascially, if i drove 53 mph on the highway, i've gotten up to 32 mpg. driving over 70 mpg, i get like 21-22 mpg. it's gets pretty bad in the city though

but i just wrecked it and had to sell it. not sure what i'm getting now

8. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

Just done a 150 mile run in a Cappuccino, average MPG 57, I don't hang around either!!

9. Motley macrumors 6502

Driving an '95 Toyota Tercel and currently averaging about 35 mpg.
    Oh and US MPG, and I calculate it manually.

Might have to buy a new car this fall so the GF can drive the Tercel to teach class and finish her PhD. Joked she can pay me back when she graduates and gets a job. The world-wide consulting agency she's applying to would start her at 3x what I make :eek::D

10. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I have a 05 RSX. Best I've probably seen is around ~390. I don't know I've ever been completely "cautious" with a full tank...one minute I'm keeping the rpms low...the next I'm randomly redlining 2nd on the way to 3rd...lead feet suck :( I usually get really good hwy milage since its just cruising.

11. SMDrew macrumors member

Of my 3 vehicles, I average ~55mpg. None of them are hybrids, and one is an Infiniti J30 (20-24mpg, 300+10 miles to the tank).

My fun vehicles are a KTM 625SMC (roughly 50mpg) and an MZ 125SM (roughly 65mpg). Unfortunately, in the interests of honesty and pertaining to this thread, the KTM only gets 110 miles to the tank, and the MZ gets about 160 miles.

12. WOZhipper macrumors newbie

WOZhipper

Using Air conditioning, hitting the gas a lot and braking with a lot with traffic and also not keeping your tires exactly 2 lbs over their ideal pressure make huge diferences in Economy.

My Peugeot 206Xt gave me around 29 mpg and I changed my driving habits and now I am in the 39/42 range, if traffic was not so bad in MExico city Id be at 42/47 mpg easily...but I am not complaining...

Even My wife Chrysler Town And Country give us a good 3 to 4 extra Mpg if driven smartly and have tire pressure in a good range.

13. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Cruise in gear, not in neutral.

(If you're in a modern car).

14. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

Modern cars(newer then 10-15 years) will cut off all fuel when you coast in gear, coasting in neutral requires fuel to keep the engine running.

I've been seeing what works on my new truck, on the last tank I squeaked out 5.9MPG, my best yet. My next load is a light one, I hope I can break 6MPG with it.

Yesterday I was sitting all day and read Cummins fuel milage white paper and talked to a friend who works for Cummins for more info. I am going to try some of their suggestions and see what happens. My last truck was in the mid-6's so I know I should be able to do better.

I try to keep my idle down but I just can't stand hot weather. If the temperature is between 12ºF and 70ºF my engine wont be running when I'm parked. My engine consumes about 1 gallon/hour.

15. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I really hate when people associate how far they can drive on a tank of gas with their gas mileage. I know people that do this and it annoys me to no end.

Lets say a civic has a 13 gallon tank and averages 30mpg, you can go 390 miles. A 1999 Suburban has a 42 gallon tank and average 15mpg, you can go 630 miles.

---

Anyways, I have 25 gallon tank in my Land Rover and I average now 15.6 mpg, which actually is pretty good for a Rover.

16. Feverish Flux macrumors regular

If the engine is running, in gear or not, it is using fuel.

17. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Not true.

From the 'pedia:

18. silbeej macrumors 6502a

2008 Subaru Outback 5 Speed, get about 27.0 MPG with 90% city driving. Replaced a 99 Forester with all time snow tires, thats what it came with, which was also a 5 Speed, getting about 26 MPG. Reset the milage on the highway and was getting 34 MPG on the way to the Traveler's Championship which was awsome to watch, but sitting in the parking lot moving just often enough to not be able to cut the engine brought it down to 20 MPG :(.

I"m looking into getting a new civic to go along with the subie, just don't think there will be enough inventory to get one with a manual, only about 5% of the cars Honda sell are manuals, but i won't give up looking.

19. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

This hasn't been true for awhile. Even my '85 Mustang with an '88 computer cuts all fuel when coasting in gear above 1500 rpm. I've actually tested this by reading the injector pulse with a DMM. The injector pulse width drops to zero percent. I kept looking into the topic and found that nearly all modern duel injected car do this, even diesels.

Even aftermarket fuel injection systems offer this function.

I even have a mechanical diesel designed in the late 70's that does this.

20. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

Can you also let us know if you are just going by the in-dash computer or running the numbers yourself.

Many people have found that their in-dash computer isn't quite accurate.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

In CT the police are telling people not to coast.

22. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

In a truck you have legally "lost control of the vehicle" if you are coasting out of gear.

One nice thing about being in gear is that if you need the power you have it by just moving your foot, no hand movements required.

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm getting about 28 mpg on my Elantra right now. Not that I drive much as it is considering work is across down.

24. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

What about a car that uses a carburetor like mine? Is the same true?

Averaging about 20-22 MPG these days.

25. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

A carb'ed car will still use fuel when coasting, its the fuel injected ones that shut off the fuel.