The Doomed Mavericks installer

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by UF0, Dec 28, 2013.

1. UF0 macrumors newbie

Hello Mac-rumors,

slipped up a little bit yesterday; I got bored and saw Mavericks was free so I downloaded it on the app-store. Now for some reason my brain didn't quite get into gear and i kind of forgot i was updating my OS - I didn't back up a collection of files.

I now have that issue where I am stuck inside the Mavericks installer loop because it says the internal drive is damaged - disk utility repair button is greyed out.
    Now i know a format is in order but i would like to copy a few files that i know are unharmed before i go ahead with it.
    Hopefully you guys can help.

I have tried resetting PRAM opt+cmd+R+P
    I have then tried booting to recovery partition cmd+R - this does nothing.
    I have tried asr -source in terminal to make a copy of my internal onto an external - this spat input/output errors at me (i'm assuming this is because its booted from the installer which is running from the internal drive)

I had the idea of installing Mavericks onto an external partitoned as GUID and then accessing the files on the internal drive before reformatting. but I'm not sure how to stop the Mavericks installer persistently trying to install to the internal drive.
    The machine in question is a 2009 mac-book pro, the only other machine i own is the one I'm using now and it's just a desktop with windows 7, this puts the target disk mode suggestion i have seen on some sites out of my reach. I feel like if i had another OSX machine I would of fixed this little mishap by now.

Thanks in advance
    UF0
    :(

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It sounds like you have a bad drive there. I would say at this point your options for data recovery are trying something like the utility Disk Warrior (not cheap) or paying a data recovery company (really not cheap) to try and get the data for you. The more you try reinstalling etc. the more chance of overwriting good data.

I don't think there really is anything about Mavericks that causes this. I believe if you have a near dead hard drive, the stress of a complete OS Install just pushes it over the edge, like you see here.