the downfall of HD-DVD

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Virgil-TB2, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Saw it on YouTube already.

Competition is good. Would be a bad thing for High-Def discs. I'm hearing that the Blu-ray camp is starting to use MPEG-2 (lower quality in my opinion to the other codecs) to author discs as it's cheaper and they no longer have to worry about the competing HD DVD (which uses only MPEG-4/VC-1).

As HD DVD starts going away, Blu-ray will turn on the constraint token (no HDMI? DVD quality for you!).

And when HD DVD is finished, up goes the Blu-ray disc prices.

Enjoy no competition...

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Exactly :( I was thinking about long term in this format war, and it looks like if 1 drops out and theres no competition then it's going to be bad in the long run.

Ah well. Looks like I'm going straight to DD for my media.

4. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Yep...

That's Sony for ya'.

5. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Nice video, but it was hard to find funny because I speak German, so I understood what they were really saying.

6. Virgil-TB2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

If you understand German, you should watch the original movie. Probably one of the best World War II movies bar none IMO.

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I was just thinking that but can't for the life of me remember what it was called. Care to tell? I want to see it again :).

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

It was never the codec that was the problem, but the early transfers. Anyway, you will be hard pressed to find a BluRay release that isn't H.264 or VC1 these days.

That's up to the film studios (just like region coding). Besides, that's only really Americans with old HD TVs that are effected by this.

BluRay will be competing against DVD. It's a similar situation to DVD when it was competing against VHS. DVD disks and players are a lot cheaper now, the same will be true for BluRay.

9. takao macrumors 68040

takao

with the slight difference that nobody bought retail VHS disks (retail movie market took off with the DVD)

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Both formats use the same codecs and I know some of the early Blu-ray releases used MPEG-2 (because they were having problems w/the h.264, IIRC), but I think they've all moved away from MPEG-2 since then.

Head-to-head format competition like that has never played out well though. Competition between companies is good, but competing, incompatible formats generally isn't.

Lethal

11. Virgil-TB2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Hmmm... I think it's just called "Downfall."

looking...

yep.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/downfall/

Very similar to an old Alec Guinness movie called "Hitler the last 10 Days."

However, much more realistic, made recently, in Germany by Germans, highly accurate and more interesting for that fact.

12. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i know tons of people who had large collection of vhs tapes and rebuilt their collection on DVD.

I doubt they'll do the same to move to blue-ray, as the product is essentially the same, whereas the differences between DVD and VHS were huge and obvious.

I think that blue-ray (or HDVD) has a much smaller window to succeed than DVD did, before a new superior format comes out or the market goes entirely digital in a few years.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well the other difference is of course a DVD player does play not VHS tapes therefore should you wish to see benefits of chapter skipping, instant rewinds, bonus materials then you indeed had to buy your movie on DVD again.

Of course with Bluray and HD-DVD both playing DVD disc's and 'upscaling' them is there any actual reason to go and buy your disc yet again unless you really do have too much money or a HiDef 'Elitist'...

Personally I see both HD disc formats to be intermediary formats before somthing much more useful, cheaper and not necessarily better quality comes along. Much like the battle both Sony & Philips engaged in with mini-disc and DCC, when minidisc may have won that battle, but an unknown format MP3 actual came along after and won that 'war'....

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I see that as the big issue, people don't want to have to re-buy a few 100 movies because they can't watch them in a Blue Ray player.