The downside of lighter notebooks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by daveybe, Nov 3, 2008.

1. daveybe macrumors newbie

So the new MacBook 2.4 is my first machine with a Magsafe cord, and i'm all excited to see it make the *pop!* sound like it does in the "Accident" Get A Mac ad.

Gave the cord a good tug and my brand new MacBook nearly slid right off the table :eek: I imagine this is an even greater danger with the MBA?

Note to self: in future, be sure to check tabletop's coefficient of friction before performing this test. Or, take some sandpaper to the MB's rubber feet.

2. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

did u tug it like...with the wire level with the macbook? it doesnt come out that way lol. try standing on the wire and lifting the macbook up. i think its only designed to come out at an angle

hope you macbooks okay?

3. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Yeah, the Magsafe cord disconnects at an angle. I can't even count the number of times it's saved my MacBook.

4. Jpoon macrumors 6502

I can't even count the number of times it's saved my MacBook from an unnecessary fall because someone tripped over my power cord.

I don't know why all the other laptop companies don't copy the design some how. I guess Apple still has the patent on it.... hehe

5. gospel9 macrumors regular

Yes they have the patent!
    All the way back since they introduced it years ago!

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Actually, best I can tell, they handled this by making the magnets weaker for the MBA. The frakking cord falls out all the time -- it's actually kind of annoying. But I'm pretty sure this means it will release properly if there's an accident (that's never happened to me though!).

7. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

or..... or...... here is a better note to self: dont try and yank a brand new $1200+ notebook of a desk :rolleyes:

8. daveybe thread starter macrumors newbie

Oho! You're right, if i grab the cord below the desk and pull downwards, it flings right outta there. Clever design, Apple!

Yep, the machine's fine. Didn't completely slide off the desk, but was a close call. Nice of you to ask.

9. mayanka89 macrumors regular

mayanka89

Doesn't help me that much. Ethernet is still latched in. In my dorms, we only have Ethernet. So if Apple could make a MagSafe Ethernet cable, that would be awesome.

10. dannn macrumors regular

i think the problem may just be poor rubber feet that don't keep the macbook in place on a table

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

...or you could get an Airport Express (though that's not allowed in some dorms).

12. jaredtomas macrumors regular

jaredtomas

Or any other wireless router.

13. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Mag-safe, the reason Apple owns.

That and Expose.