The Dreaded 1604 Restore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thisonechance, Oct 16, 2007.

1. thisonechance macrumors regular

When the 1.1.1 update was released, my iPhone decided to take a dump upon updating. I took it to the Apple Store and it was immediately replaced. Well, for the past two weeks, the phone was crashing (completely, not just one app) what started as once a day to yesterday when it crashed 5 times. I attempted to restore the phone hoping that would help, and now I get the terrible error 1604 and the iPhone simply gives me the connect to iTunes screen.

Looks like I am going back to try and get iPhone number 3. A real shame though, this was a great phone. I am getting frustrated with what is either a poor product or my poor luck.

It should be noted that this was NOT unlocked and NOT hacked in any way.

2. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Can not be true. I read that ONLY hacked and unlocked phones will crash, and that all virgin installs of 1.1.1 are perfect and never have any problems. Its true- I read it on Macrumors.

:D

3. thisonechance thread starter macrumors regular

I took the phone in this evening and the Apple Genius successfully managed to restore the iPhone. I took it home, plugged it in to charge (it was completely dead) and the phone immediately crashed an iTunes gives me the same error.

F*#& this.

I am sick and tired of this. This is not acceptable for any product from any company.

4. spinstorm macrumors 68000

Obviously there is something wrong with the phone.

But the 1604 error is related to the connection between your computer and the iPhone.

I tried to restore mine on my laptop and it gave me that error but it worked fine on my PC.

So I am afraid the 1604 seems to be down to if your computer wants to have a dodgy USB port today or not...

5. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

I totally agree, I used a different computer and the restore went through

6. thisonechance thread starter macrumors regular

I went and tried to do a restore using my g/f c2d macbook pro and I get unknown error -50. I am just having zero luck with this thing.

My g/f is taking it to the Apple Store while I am at work tomorrow. I hope they will still have a look even though I am not there.

7. thisonechance thread starter macrumors regular

Apple, you have officially lost a customer for life.

After taking the defective phone in once again, they simply did another restore and handed it back saying unless it is crashing when I hand it to them, they can do nothing.

The problem is when it crashes, it reboots after about 30 seconds and gives me the connect to iTunes symbol. What am I supposed to do? I can't afford to hang out in the store for an hour or two and wait for it to crash. This is absurd. The phone is defective, you would think they get that point when I am in there every other day with the phone that will not restore on any of the 3 machines at my apartment.

I have a $500 paperweight. I can't afford to put anything on there as it will crash within the day and lose everything.