Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QMdude

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
So many have said that the 2G glass + digitizer + lcd are combined toghether.. I did however see some videos of people scraping off the glass and replacing it. Before I embark on such a feat, I was wondering what others had to say about it..

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
1st gen: fused
2nd gen (iPhone 3G): separate
3rd Gen (3GS): Separate.
4th Gen (iPhone 4): fused.

The feat you describe is nearly impossible. Trust me I have tried it and have repaired hundreds of iPhones of every model.

also for reference iPod Touch 1-3gen are separate, and 4th gen is fused. Fused gives the LCD and glass more strength and eliminates the possible dust, BUT adds cost. I think in the end fused is worth it.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
1st gen: fused
2nd gen (iPhone 3G): separate
3rd Gen (3GS): Separate.
4th Gen (iPhone 4): fused.

The feat you describe is nearly impossible. Trust me I have tried it and have repaired hundreds of iPhones of every model.

also for reference iPod Touch 1-3gen are separate, and 4th gen is fused. Fused gives the LCD and glass more strength and eliminates the possible dust, BUT adds cost. I think in the end fused is worth it.
Fused is definitely worth it. I had a 3G that had dust/hair problems so bad Apple replaced it. My iPhone 4 on the other hand can't have that issue.

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
Fused is definitely worth it. I had a 3G that had dust/hair problems so bad Apple replaced it. My iPhone 4 on the other hand can't have that issue.

The dust was terrible, also the fingerprints when I was repairing it and touching the LCD. Ugh. It may just be worth the more expensive parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.