The dreaded flashing envelope...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OwlsAndApples, Sep 30, 2007.

1. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

I turned on my Nokia phone (on O2) to be greeted by the flashing envelope...I know it means the message memory is full and have since deleted loads from the inbox/outbox. Does anyone know whether or not I can still receive the message or at least know what number it's from?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Usually what happens is the message comes through in the end. You can try and speed it up by getting the network to realise that there is room on your phone again, i usually do this by sending myself a text message, the missing one then comes in about 10 seconds later.

3. OwlsAndApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Thanks, I tried but it still hasn't come, guess I'll just have to be patient :)

EDIT turns out it has arrived! Thanks for the tip :)

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Get a phone that allows you to store a decent number of messages.

(start rant)

With the low prices of RAM, it's unforgiveable for phones to still only be able to store 20 or so messages.

If each message is 160 characters, that's 160 bytes per message. Call it 200 for the sender info. Times 20, that's a mere 4 kb. A 512 kb storage chip should cost about 5p to the phone manufacturer in today's markets. (512MB flash cards, 1000 times larger, are available for £5 in highstreet stores)

My current phone (t-mobile vario ii) has more or less no limit on messages - I've had over 2000 messages in its memory before. When I lost it for a little while, I brought a temporary replacement for £20 new from woolworths, and was shocked to find it only stored 20 messages or so. In a new phone in 2007! Even the startup animated graphic on the phone took far more than 4 kb, and I could choose between several different startup animations. What's the point? Put that memory into message storage!

(end rant...)

5. OwlsAndApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Yeah it's true about the strange allocation of memory in phones...why so much room for games and ringtones and so little for texts? But then my phone is pretty old now, i've just become sloppy about not deleting messages.