The Dream Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Billicus, May 29, 2010.

1. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

We now have 10 million posts and Doctor Q's percentages indicate that my last dream thread from 2003 was only available for discussion to a small number of current members.

To that end, I will pose to the community some of the questions of discussion that came up in that thread:
    • How often do you dream?
    • What do you dream about?
    • Do you remember your dreams?
    • Do you dream in color or black and white?
    • Are your dreams first person or third person?
    • Are your dreams good or bad? Do you generally enjoy dreaming?
    • Are you able to take control of your dreams at times?
    • If you forget all your dreams, do you wish you could remember them?
    • Do you ever have a feeling of deja-vu related to dreams?
    • Do you interpret your dreams?
    • Are your dreams related to / reimaginations of events happening in your life or totally unrelated?

2. tooz macrumors 6502

Well the last three nights I've been having sex dreams.

as to your questions:
    • How often do you dream? Nearly every night
    • What do you dream about? you don't want to know. most are so illogical even I'm confused.
    • Do you remember your dreams? most, yes
    • Do you dream in color or black and white?colour
    • Are your dreams first person or third person?first-person
    • Are your dreams good or bad? Do you generally enjoy dreaming? I have the occasional scary one, but the vast majority are just weird
    • Are you able to take control of your dreams at times?not usuallly
    • If you forget all your dreams, do you wish you could remember them?-
    • Do you ever have a feeling of deja-vu related to dreams?I find alota things turn up in different dreams that i've dreamt before. There is this one nightclub that i've dreamt about quite a few times
    • Do you interpret your dreams?not really
    • Are your dreams related to / reimaginations of events happening in your life or totally unrelated?The storyline usually is completely whack, but the people in them are usually from real life
    I have never had a flying/falling dream, but I have had quite a few naked-going-to-school dreams.

3. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

* How often do you dream?
    Nearly every night.

* What do you dream about?
    Stuff that pertains to everyday things. Sometimes I'll dream about my first day at a new job, sometimes out at the bar or sporting event, and rarely times in my past with my ex.

* Do you remember your dreams?
    I'd say about 90% of the time. Most are vague though.

* Do you dream in color or black and white?
    Color

* Are your dreams first person or third person?
    Both. Although 3rd person lucid dreams are kinda cool sometimes.

* Are your dreams good or bad? Do you generally enjoy dreaming?
    I love dreaming, mostly good. Sometimes I'll wake up and realize I did something illegal in my dream and have a brief moment of fear that I am now a felon or on the run.

* Are you able to take control of your dreams at times?
    I'd say it's about 40% of them.

* If you forget all your dreams, do you wish you could remember them?
    N/A

* Do you ever have a feeling of deja-vu related to dreams?
    Yes, I have dreams where some big event happens that I dreamed about just 3 or 4 days earlier. Gang murders around here, talking on the phone with someone I haven't talked to in a while, and natural disasters (last one was 3 days prior to the earthquake in Haiti).

* Do you interpret your dreams?
    Sometimes I'll wake up and think for a little while of what could have set it off, but I don't really have a desire to find out what it means.

* Are your dreams related to / reimaginations of events happening in your life or totally unrelated?
    Mostly related, but I do have some that are way out of left field.

I love to dream, I find that I have lucid dreams when I have been drinking the night before. Either way, there are very few mornings that I wake up and not remember a dream at least in some way. Most of these mornings, I'd really like to just go back to sleep to finish them out.

4. 2056 macrumors 6502

* How often do you dream? almost nightly
    * What do you dream about? strange things. last night i dreamt i couldn't find a clean toilet and it made me mad. i was about to give the people in the restroom a speech about not making a toilet paper mess when they go to the restroom. then i woke up and had to pee really bad. i frequently dream about the end of the world though.
    * Do you remember your dreams? a lot of them
    * Do you dream in color or black and white? i don't ever remember dreaming in black and white.
    * Are your dreams first person or third person? most of the time they're first person
    * Are your dreams good or bad? Do you generally enjoy dreaming? 50/50. mostly strange, but i still enjoy dreaming.
    * Are you able to take control of your dreams at times? never. i wish i could.
    * If you forget all your dreams, do you wish you could remember them? oh yes, i've even tried going right back to sleep to keep dreaming and it's worked!
    * Do you ever have a feeling of deja-vu related to dreams? ALL the time.
    * Do you interpret your dreams? i try, but most of them are just too much.
    * Are your dreams related to / reimaginations of events happening in your life or totally unrelated? related, but i also have many dreams that are very bizarre.

5. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I have a recurring dream that a huge airplane, that spans most of the sky, slowly crashes down to earth. I'm never in the plane, just watching in awe. While I'm seeing this happen, the thing that totally amazes me is just how enormous the plane is. As large as if the Moon crashed into Earth. The dream is never the same setting and the plane looks different each time.

It's a pretty fascinating dream. I looked it up and there are a bunch of people with similar recurring dreams, although the plane they describe is normal size.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

^ Okay that's just awesome. I'd love to have that dream.

How often do you dream? 3 times a night
    What do you dream about? Adventures, random things
    Do you remember your dreams? At least one of them (I remember 2 from last night)
    Do you dream in color or black and white? Colour
    Are your dreams first person or third person? First
    Are your dreams good or bad? Do you generally enjoy dreaming? Good, I love it
    Are you able to take control of your dreams at times? Almost never
    If you forget all your dreams, do you wish you could remember them? Yea, but they usually come back to me over the day
    Do you ever have a feeling of deja-vu related to dreams? A few times
    Do you interpret your dreams? Not really. They're just a mixture of recent events all fragmented and launched into each other, with some hints of randomness
    Are your dreams related to / reimaginations of events happening in your life or totally unrelated? Bit of both

2 from last night-
    -I'm applying for uni at the moment, in one of my dreams I had an interview. They put me inside a small cage and wheeled me around a room showing tryffids and their attacks on people. The course was to learn how to kill them.
    -Another dream I had involved my friends and I getting a load of mini motorbikes. We drove them up some old mans back garden, but the police were secretly filming us for trespassing. We sped off, I got home and expecting the police to turn up at any moment - smashes all my brothers bootleg DVDs, deleted pron and made our house accessible for disabled people :p.
    - (Edit: 3rd just came back to me) It snowed, an awful lot. Me and my girlfriend went swimming through, building tunnels in the back garden. One of the tunnels hit an underground civilisation somehow (Doctor Who much?).

A recurring theme in my dreams is to always be inches from having sex with either a random girl or my girlfriend, but then something monumental will happen like aliens invade or a hurricane turns up knocking on the door. It's all quite annoying!

7. JsR macrumors regular

How often do you dream?
    Most nights. I want to say every night but I can't always remember them.

What do you dream about?
    Life, work, family usually.

Do you remember your dreams?
    90% yes.

Do you dream in color or black and white?
    Colour

Are your dreams first person or third person?
    First

Are your dreams good or bad? Do you generally enjoy dreaming?
    Yes, usually a positive dream.

Are you able to take control of your dreams at times?
    Erm...I'm not sure :confused:

If you forget all your dreams, do you wish you could remember them?
    Yes

Do you ever have a feeling of deja-vu related to dreams?
    I have this one dream since I was a young child. It's really hard to explain. I'm in a white room and there are lots of objects (pencils, numbers, books, people) and one item is small and one is huge. For example, I am writing, but the pencil is like the size of a house. Or I am the size of a house and the book is the size of a pin. It creeps me out. I'm 22 now and I've had this dream since I was about 7/8 - and it is a regular dream.

Do you interpret your dreams?
    Sometimes

Are your dreams related to / reimaginations of events happening in your life or totally unrelated?
    I think events happening in my life. For example, yesterday in a buzz meeting at work we were told of 6 people getting transferred out to a smaller bank (we know who the 6 were, none me) but my dream last night was that it was me and when I refused to go I got fired.

8. ethical macrumors 68000

• How often do you dream? Most nights
    • What do you dream about? Very very random things
    • Do you remember your dreams? Sometimes, not always
    • Do you dream in color or black and white? Colour
    • Are your dreams first person or third person? First person
    • Are your dreams good or bad? Do you generally enjoy dreaming? I love dreaming, even the bad ones. They are exciting.
    • Are you able to take control of your dreams at times? Not always.
    • If you forget all your dreams, do you wish you could remember them? Absolutely
    • Do you ever have a feeling of deja-vu related to dreams? I think I have once or twice
    • Do you interpret your dreams? I try to but they usually make no sense
    • Are your dreams related to / reimaginations of events happening in your life or totally unrelated? Sometimes they include memories or things that I've seen. They also often include things that are happening around me as I sleep, like sounds or lights. Not just in the background of my dream, but as quite distinct/important features.
    I love dreaming. It's so weird!

One very peculiar dream I've had several times, is that I'm about 15 years old on a street that I used to live on. The street is a cul-de-sac, so there's only one way in or out.... anyway, I'm really small, smaller than the height of the curb. The road is a forest, the trees are about height of the curb, and I'm being chased by what seem like medieval soldiers on horses, with swords and dogs etc. It's a really really weird dream, and when I had it first as a 15 year old it was really quite scary. Mainly because I knew the forest I was running through was in a road with a dead-end, so eventually I would be cornered.... but I always woke up before that ever happened.

9. Billicus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I'm intrigued that a lot of you seem to be able to remember dreams. I have a memory of my dreams for a short while upon waking, but they seem to be only in short term memory, because unless I write them down or make a conscious effort to remember them they seem to be gone within a few minutes.

10. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I don't remember my dreams most of the time, I'll normally remember it as soon as I wake up, but within an hour I will forget.

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

And I thought I'm the only one!

Hilarious!

12. Xavier macrumors 68020

I love dreaming, but to be honest, I can't really answer most of these questions because I never thought something of it. I can however tell you that I dream every night and do remember them.

I will get back to you after tonight. That is if I can remember these questions.

13. Billicus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Lol... I'm not trying to press anyone for information, I'm just trying to stimulate an interesting conversation. :)

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

How often do you dream?
    I'm not absolutely sure; I'd say at least 3 times per week, probably more.

What do you dream about?
    It's hard to say; my dreams are often fleeting but the ones I do remember are usually totally random and seemingly unrelated to my real life. I recall one where I was fighting a train, using a sword :confused: and one of my (real) friends was helping me to do so.

Do you remember your dreams?
    See above. Not often.

Do you dream in color or black and white?
    Colour.

Are your dreams first person or third person?
    First person.

Are your dreams good or bad? Do you generally enjoy dreaming?
    I don't recall having any nightmares since I was a kid, and I do enjoy my dreams while I'm having them. I feel a little sad when I wake up and lose the dream!

Are you able to take control of your dreams at times?
    Of the ones I remember, yes, usually.

If you forget all your dreams, do you wish you could remember them?
    Yes.

Do you ever have a feeling of deja-vu related to dreams?
    My dreams typically aren't recurring.

Do you interpret your dreams?
    No.

Are your dreams related to / reimaginations of events happening in your life or totally unrelated?
    They seem to be completely unrelated.

15. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

* How often do you dream?
    Every night.
    * What do you dream about?
    Sometimes it is totally random and weird, but it can also be parts of daily life.
    * Do you remember your dreams?
    Only the ones I wake up immediately after. And after a while, I forget them, except the really good or bad ones.
    * Do you dream in color or black and white?
    Color.
    * Are your dreams first person or third person?
    First person.
    * Are your dreams good or bad? Do you generally enjoy dreaming?
    I have both good and bad dreams. My bad dreams are usually me doing something that has bad consequencies. I freak out, and then wake up, which leaves me *very* satisfied because it is not true. (For example, I had one in which I had to write a 1000 word text in japanese, and I had only half an hour left, and this was the final exam.)
    * Are you able to take control of your dreams at times?
    I seriously don't know. Sometimes I think in my dreams, but I don't know wether I am conscious or not.
    * If you forget all your dreams, do you wish you could remember them?
    I don't forget them all, but I don't care.
    * Do you ever have a feeling of deja-vu related to dreams?
    Maybe. Since I don't remember my dreams more than an hour or so I can't figure it out, but I have frequent déjà vus, so it may be a cause.
    * Do you interpret your dreams?
    Nope.
    * Are your dreams related to / reimaginations of events happening in your life or totally unrelated?
    Not all of them. The ones that happen in real life are more likely to be related to my life, but the random ones are definitely not.

Oh and by the way, I get this "falling" feeling very often. It is not really a dream, there are no images, just this feeling.

16. spoon man macrumors 6502a

spoon man

• How often do you dream? Maybe every other night
    • What do you dream about? It's not very clear most of the time :(
    • Do you remember your dreams? Only if it was disturbing or to bizzare for words
    • Do you dream in color or black and white? Color
    • Are your dreams first person or third person? first
    • Are your dreams good or bad? Do you generally enjoy dreaming? There hit and miss really 40/40 and the other 20% of the time they are just hard to undrestand
    • Are you able to take control of your dreams at times? I'm just there for the ride
    • If you forget all your dreams, do you wish you could remember them? Sometimes i do
    • Do you ever have a feeling of deja-vu related to dreams? Yeah quite alot of the time
    • Do you interpret your dreams? Sometimes i do because they can play on my mind alot
    • Are your dreams related to / reimaginations of events happening in your life or totally unrelated My dream only have people/pet's that i come into contact with in my day to day life

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont sleep much which may be why i cant remember any dreams

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Gotta share this one...

Day 1-
    Me and the girlfriend were watching the news and heard about a series of massive earthquakes in China. That night we had 2 big ones in England.

Day 2-
    We were quite worried and were glued to the news all day. More huge earthquakes were happening all over the world increasing in frequency and intensity. By this point everyone was scared.

Day 3-
    The earthquakes stopped. We were walking through our nearest city (which is just a bit above sea level) since we were fed up just watching it happen through a TV. We saw water flowing in over on the horizon. Unsure at what was going on we casually made our way up to higher ground. A panic was starting as the waters continued to rise. Shops were being looted, by the time I thought to grab some tinned food cans the supermarket was just totally stripped... we headed back down to another shop but it was totally submerged now! Riots were starting and the "volume" just increased.

We ran home. It's around 900ft above sea level so we thought we'd be safe. Our plan was to stay there until the morning. Everything was quiet here. I didn't want to sleep and I planned everything out... if the waters rose we would head to the highest nearby point. I filled bags with canned food, my handheld gadgets. I went to get a shotgun and archery gear off a friend (just incase things kicked off).

Day 4-
    Couldn't sleep. Nobody could. We were just sat around trying to carry on as normal with the usual food, usual conversation. The moon was smashed into pieces, all lit up in the night sky. A girl wearing a cape stood on nearby hill looking at us, as if she was somehow responsible for it all. The news channel was off the air and the waters were still rising.
    Just then the water poured over a window frame on one side of the house... it was here and we had to head to higher ground.
    We stood a chance though. We were prepared. If the waters continued we'd jump into one of the boats at any of the nearby lakes.

Then... annoyingly! The house sprouted stilts and remained on the surface of the water as it rose - spoiling the tension building up! Then I woke up :mad:.

19. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

• How often do you dream? Most nights. Daydreams too, sometimes
    • What do you dream about? All kinds of stuff. Last night I was buying an Ultralight Airplane kit from someone who never built it. It was yellow and still had the price tags from Venture, an out of business chain store
    • Do you remember your dreams? Usually
    • Do you dream in color or black and white? Color
    • Are your dreams first person or third person? Yes.
    • Are your dreams good or bad? Do you generally enjoy dreaming? Almost always good. Usually, I even enjoy the "Bad" ones
    • Are you able to take control of your dreams at times? Sometimes. I can wake up, go back to sleep and continue one if I'm lucky
    • If you forget all your dreams, do you wish you could remember them? I don't usually forget them and probably don't want to remember the ones I forgot. I remember some from early childhood.
    • Do you ever have a feeling of deja-vu related to dreams? Yes.
    • Do you interpret your dreams? Sometimes. Last nights dream about buying an airplane kit was probably related to me going on an Ultralight Airplane ride 15 years ago. Maybe I want to fly again?
    • Are your dreams related to / reimaginations of events happening in your life or totally unrelated? Sometimes. Some seem to hint at the future too

Yay!
    More fun dreams! I must have Paid Cable Channels for dreams.

Have Fun,
    Sweet Dreams,
    Keri