The Early Edition - Problems with most feeds

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by drewbwfc, May 29, 2010.

1. drewbwfc macrumors member

I downloaded The Early Edition yesterday (a rss reader in the form of a paper for those who haven't seen it) and I seem to be having a few problems with the feeds I want on it. The app looks great with the feeds it suggests, but most feeds I have put on only seem to show the first line of the given article. Is there anyway round this? Am I doing anything wrong? I would be interested to see what other users of this app are finding.

The only feeds I have found so far that show the full articles are the ones from the guardian.co.uk. Everything else is just the first line, ranging from the BBC, Sky Sports, The Sun etc

Very frustrated as this app would be great if I could get it working properly!

2. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

It depends on the site and how they put their articles into RSS unfortunately. :(

Perhaps we should have a list of what RSS feeds have full articles...

3. drewbwfc thread starter macrumors member

Ah that's a shame. A list would be good yeah - I'm after full feeds for tech news, general world news, uk news, football and sport in general.

So far feeds I have that work fully in this app:

- All feeds from The Guardian
    - Engadget

That's it :D :(

4. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Hmm, could you try this for me:

feed://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/rss

when I click Test Feed it says it's a web page not a feed...

Doi! They change the format on some feeds, so some are feeds. and others are www. :D

5. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Tuaw's feed is good for apple news, although their stories usually lag a bit behind other outlets. Unfortunately macrumors only gives you the first few sentences. A lot of my favorite sites do that. I assume it's because they went to get you onto the full site and get as many ad views as possible. Sucks because I don't see why they bother to have a feed then.

6. drewbwfc thread starter macrumors member

Yeah guess that will be the reason. Anyway added tuaw cheers. Gonna have a look see if I can find anymore today. Will update with any I find.

Steviem, did u get that rugby one going?

7. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Yeah, that started up pretty easily.

I sent an email to them yesterday about a few things and got a reply pretty quickly:

Some pretty good features coming through I think, however it's a bummer they can't do much against feeds with little text.. Glad I bought it though.

8. superflush macrumors 6502a

This is likely just the way the content provider produces their RSS feeds. For example, Engadget will always have the first entire paragraph of their post in the RSS feed. If the post happens to be particularly long, or have video, pictures, or a press release intact, then you must go to the actual post on the website to view it. So with this type of situation, you can often breeze the most of the posts by staying in your RSS reader and you don't always have to pop into the browser to read it. The New York Times on the other hand, usually has just 2 sentences or so of an article in their RSS feed, so you always most go the article on their website to view it.