The Easier Way to Install Flash on iPhone 4 and iPad

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Anyone tried this on iPhone 4? Works or buggy?

http://gizmodo.com/5608095/the-easier-way-to-install-flash-on-iphone-4-and-ipad

Didn't you hear? Flash (well, Frash) came to jailbroken iPhones yesterday. But if that eight-step process was a little bit complicated for you, there's a new three-step method available right now.

It's actually the same basic scenario, just streamlined into a single Cydia package for your downloading convenience by the German-based Applephiles at Benm.at. According to iThinkDiff, on your jailbroken iPhone 4, 3GS, or iPad:

1. Open Cydia > Manage > Sources
2. Edit source and add http://repo.benm.at
3. Search Frash and install it.
And voila! Flash content should play to your heart's desire (though you'll need to tap the Flash component to get it to play). The whole thing takes just a few minutes, but won't work on your 3G due to processor architecture incompatibility. As always, proceed with caution! [iThinkDiff, image via Rewrite Tech]

NJRonbo

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2007
Don't want to be the guinea pig.

Would be interested to see if this
works without corrupting anything
else.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Also a good idea to add the SBSettings toggle so you can disable this at will.

chell

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
I installed it from the repository mentioned above. It works fine on some flash based stuff (especially banners) and not well at all on others, especially complex ones (flash animations won't load).

powaking

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
Tried it on Hulu, just crashed Safari. But ads like the one on Netflix's main page (if you're not logged in) worked fine. I removed it as it needs much more work (maybe include an option in Safari's settings to turn it on/off).

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
All I could get to work was a banner.

Hulu - "the video is not available on the iPad"
Realplayer - nope.

Darn. I've yet to get frash to work for me.

Would like to hear of sites where it's worked for folks. I just want to see it working somewhere at this point. :)

c2006

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Frash is enabled and I've resprung multiple times, but whenever I go to a site with flash content, it's just not there. Even the homestarrunner website has the "Everybody! Everybody!" title, but then it's just a blank black screen, nowhere to tap to initiate flash...

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
remember people this is an alpha level at best! It still needs a lot of work before it is even considered beta! Just give it sometime!

Nykwil

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2002
Boston, MA
anybody have any input on battery life and stability after installing frash? As much as I'm interested, I'm not willing to take the risk if it means stability/battery problems.

Psant

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
It crashes my Huli when I try it, but other flash websites and banners work fine. Pretty awesome!

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Is it at all possible it's the METHOD of install used that's preventing it from working better?

Shorts.

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
i used the SSH way of installing frash and it works.. as well as an alpha works