the EDU promo suddenly makes the midrange option tempting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PAUL BRIAN, Jun 7, 2008.

1. PAUL BRIAN macrumors member

a $500 price difference between the base model macbook pro and the midrange model is now about a $200-$300 difference if you get the free ipod touch and sell it off. is it worth it now to go this route? i initially wanted to save some money and get the base model but if any way i can future proof my macbook pro i'm open. i plan on using the MBP for music production so how much will the extra VRAM and L2 cache help?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

It's less than a $500 difference with education pricing. VRAM won't affect music production.

3. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

of course. I would and am seriously thinking about it. I just have to see how much my current model would sell for on fleebay:rolleyes:

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

This temptation is the intention of this promotion.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Wouldn't it be the same regardless?

You could buy the base mbp for $1800 and then sell off the touch for $300 (or whatever) and your net cost would be down to $1500.
    Personally, I wouldn't go this route. The gain for your $500 is marginal at best. With that money you can invest in RAM, an external drive, software, and the many other goodies you'll need (external mouse, keyboard, etc).

6. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Im gonna wait and see if the macbook pros do in fact get updated before I make my purchase. Does anyone know if there is a limit to this deal?

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Usually the only requirements on the computer side of things is that it be any computer except for a mini.

Last year the iMacs saw an update in the middle of the sale, and the new iMacs qualified as well.

On the iPod side of things, however, the rebate won't apply to new models (since the whole point of the sale is to clear inventory).

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I mean, can you only get 1 ipod? or can you get a few with a few different purchases?

9. theidoctor macrumors newbie

ha... that would be ok... but they do a good job of making money off of people dont they?

anyways, maybe you can find someone who works at the store and get an even bigger discount... about 20% i think... maybe 15

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Why that would be against Apple's best interests. ;)

EDU discounts can only be used for one notebook and one desktop per year anyway, and yes, the iPod rebate is restricted to just one per customer.

Apple isn't interested in turning you into a salesman. ;):p

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes it's technically 1 desktop and 1 laptop per year, but I've bought at least 5 computers this year with my education discount; however the iPod promotion is definitely limited to 1 promotion per student.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

And the promotion ends on September 15th.

13. Freyqq macrumors 68040

midrange is really a rippoff. While 512 vram may sound good...the chip isn't powerful enough to render 512 worth of effects. The bottleneck is the card, not the vram. 256 is enough. I wouldn't even consider the vram increase as part of the equation if your thinking about the nicer one.

14. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Yeah, the VRAM may not be a huge jump. However, the L2 cache should help you with your music production. At least, if you're using serious programming.

Then again, a Mac Pro is always best for such hard/software.