The Ejectorcist!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by iBlue, Oct 7, 2009.

1. iBlue, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015

iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I've got Peculiar Encounters of the ejecting kind.

Early this morning (5:50-ish am, if it matters) I witnessed for the second time our beloved Mac Pro physically ejecting the disk drive over and over after having woke itself from sleep.
    The first time it happened it was just before the snow leopard release (we joked about that) so it's happening with both leopard and snow leopard.
    Here is a super-dorky link my husband put together a while back which has all the details (and a photo) of the possessed machine.

What is especially bizarre is that it's not timed one right after another, like a stuck key, it stops briefly and starts again - usually when I walk in the door to investigate the WTFness.
    I am not generally the superstitious and paranormal believer type (though I wish I hadn't watched all those scary movies now) so I'm really mystified by this. There must be a logical explanation. http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/erm.gif

I imagine there won't be a lot of help or information about a Mac Pro ejecting itself (I have googled) but I'm putting this out there in case someone else has had the self-ejecting phenomenon.

2. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I have no idea what could cause it. It is interesting and disturbing at the same time.

Not a very helpful post :eek:

3. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Macs have been known to be all sorts of temperamental. A few years back my Mac used to talk to my telly (voice recognition was on, so it was just responding to conversations on TV if the volume was up loud. But I think he was just lonely..)

So this premature ejection doesn't surprise me. Ignore him, I think he's just looking for attention.

p.s. "WTFness"? I like it! I think I'll steal that one..

p.p.s which 'drive' is it ejecting, do you mean it's ejecting the DVD, or some removable drive? You could look for any apps referencing any files on that volume; or poke about at the drive to see if there's any lip catching, causing it to eject again. But that's probably exactly what he wants you to do..

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

From the picture it appears you're using the wired Apple keyboard. My first thought is that the keyboard is for some reason sending random eject signals. See if it happens with the keyboard disconnected, or try using a different keyboard. If the keyboard is connected to a hub try connecting it directly. I'd also make sure the connectors to the optical drive are secure.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Personally, I think your husband wrote a script to do it so he can get some morning lovin'. :D

6. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

HA, HA!! "premature ejectuation" Even Better!!

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Premature ejection? I think they have pills for that now. :D

8. njl macrumors regular

9. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Does this premature ejection happen around you or your husband? Might be telling you something! :eek:

10. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

How funny, the electronics were having a little chin wag!

The drive ejecting is the DVD (optical) drive. The tray opens and closes. I can see the eject symbol on the screen each time it does it. It's really a bizarre thing to stand and watch happen.

The Ejectorcist phenomenon has only happened twice, and a little over two months apart. It's going to be hard to diagnose by taking things away, plus I love my apple (wired) keyboard, don't want to change it. I will try disconnecting the keyboard when/if it does it next, that's a good idea. I'll check the optical drive connectors too. Thanks for that.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

... next you'll be telling us, your keys are sticky :D

12. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Ok, time to be serious. Sounds like you have a program wanting this action. Check processes or logs right after it happens to see if some program is doing this. Could be a loose connection too.