The eMac CRT as being hacked: Long Live the eMac!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by patriciooholegu, Sep 10, 2014.

1. patriciooholegu, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

patriciooholegu macrumors member

Look at this picture...

https://imageshack.com/i/exBmBYHCj

It happened about five minutes ago...
    After two months of struggling with the damm thing i finally succeded...

I have my hand shacking right now.
    It gives me chills man.
    This may be an entire change in the eMac's history and destiny (Being able to replace that 10 years old logicboard with any actuall mini-itx mobo?)

It will be a "How to" in the upcoming weeks...Be sure about that!!

Sorry about my English. I cannot think clearly right now.
    I'm serius...

Attached Files:

2. n0cus macrumors 6502

Congratulations man, the eMac CRT is really awesome, and being able to use it on other computer is just great. Awesome job!

3. patriciooholegu, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

patriciooholegu thread starter macrumors member

More photos

Now with the image centered:

http://imageshack.com/i/exfXFCVqj

Using Windows 7 + powerstrip to adjust + custom drivers made with moninfo.exe
    Resolution at 1280 x 960. It looks great!! No flickering, no funny color, just sharp, clear and clean!!!

Attached Files:

4. weckart macrumors 68040

I was going to buy an eMac back in the day but its b0rked limited screen resolution was a deal breaker. It could not handle 1280x anything with any stability.

5. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Great, now you must install OS X Mavericks.

It's not a hackintosh, you just "upgraded" the board. :D

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I feel the exact same thing when I remote into my PC from my G4. It just doesn't feel... right.

Attached Files:

7. harrymatic macrumors 6502

Congrats on getting this working! Looking forward to seeing what you do with the machine now :)

8. patriciooholegu thread starter macrumors member

Updating

Lastnight i found the way to turn and feed the CRT completely from the standard PC, dismissing the eMac logicboard.
    I will make a fully explained "How to" in the upcoming weeks.
    And i see even more straightforward to hack the iMac G3 (I have one...)

9. patriciooholegu, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

patriciooholegu thread starter macrumors member

Help needed (eeprom rom uploaded)

Hello again.
    So my past few days has being of alot of tests on my lovely eMac CRT.
    Mixed results was obtained: Picture but all uncentered, flipped, no picture at all, picture but going black on any change at Powerstrip...
    So the only way, so far, to get a good result (And im talking about a terrific quality image) on my crt is by:

*Sending sda and sck signals (i2c DDC protocol, im certain) from headless eMac logic board (Not test pc)
    *Sending +5 volts to pin 4 and 10 of this picture (Oh and must be with certain power, not just a few miliamps, or the thing will not start):
    http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=496598&stc=1&d=1411612787
    *Sending standard rgb signal from testing pc (Windows 7, at 1280 x 960_72hz tanks to edid override custom drivers).

An important thing to mention is that testing pc detects the eMac CRT as "Generic Non pnp Monitor", even if you plug SDA and SCK to pins 12 and 15 of VGA port...(The first attempt i made about this project, two months back, i must being very nervious, because i´m sure of reading "Generic pnp Monitor" instead).

So a bunch of the tests i made around the IVAD board was about a eeprom IC in there, were i think it should be (But it is not) the EDID information.
    The circuit is labeled 24WC02J:
    http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/57752/CATALYST/CAT24WC02J-1.8TE13C.html

and after diggin around my stuff for days, and reading alot to remember things forgotten from the past, i was able to extract the data in it: It happens that a few ears back i was pretty excited with Pic programming (Programable Integrated Circuit) and bought a serial based programmer, and after a few searching i realize that it is fully compatible with this IC.
    So the firmware was dumped, and of course, no EDID editor can open it, claming to be wrong or not EDID at all.
    So i uploaded as atachment, the untouched extracted firmware from the eeprom for you to see it, and if you are able to help in any way to understand and hack in any how, will be much apreciated:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=496616&stc=1&d=1411615224

Attached Files: