Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

will the world end in 2012?

• Total voters

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
In a slow period today my coworker mentioned that the world will end in 2012.

Being curious, I decided to research a little to see what it's all about. Googling these things is worthless, so I stuck to wikipedia. Interesting stuff.

I generally am doubtful of apocalyptic predictions, but I have an open mind. I'm going to talk to him about this tomorrow at work...:D

end of civilization
eschatology
ultimate fate of the universe

The only think I'm actually worried about is the olduvai theory, which, after a year of studying environmental science, is all too realistic.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Finally, a poll I can totally relate to.

I don't think I'll have it all ready by 2012, but I'm working as fast as I can. Tell your co-worker that it'll be ready to go by 2020 at the latest!

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Abstract said:
^^And for now, you're.......living for today, right? Am I right?

Well, that user name came about before I came into control of this whole process, and wasn't sure when the end date would be. But now that I'm runnin' the show, I guess I should change my name to "livinguntilMarch3rd2019"

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
No, not by 2012. But soon, and it's going to be slow and painful. The more and more pollution that is done, its just killing us slowley. Summers here are SO hot (35ºC) and winters are (-40ºC) it's just insane, this is not how it was a few years ago. If people keep up this lifestyle, earth is going to root.

Nasa better figure out a way to get everyone from earth onto a new planet, and soon.

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
Nah, the world won't end then. But unfortunately, you'll be dead in 2008. I'm pretty psychic about these things. Sorry for the bad news. :(

OutThere

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
mcarnes said:
Nah, the world won't end then. But unfortunately, you'll be dead in 2008. I'm pretty psychic about these things. Sorry for the bad news. :(

care to elaborate? :D

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
mcarnes said:
My dad was just talking about somehting happening in 2008. A completion of something. I don't remember, but it was something about earth and 2008, maybe you know.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
DJMastaWes said:
My dad was just talking about somehting happening in 2008. A completion of something. I don't remember, but it was something about earth and 2008, maybe you know.

Does it involve everyone sleeping in the same room and wearing Nike shoes?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Maybe our civilisation could be brought to the brink of destruction by 2012 but the world will certainly not "end."

This planet has been much warmer and much colder than it is now, had much more and much less CO2, more and less oxygen, water, land, ocean, ice, desert. The only problem now is that the dominant species on the planet has the ability to not only alter the climate but comprehend the consequences of such changes.

We might not survive but the Earth will, life will survive somewhere and evolve into new species far removed from what is here now.

That's what I think anyway.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The world will not end in 2012, but it will be radically changed. A meteor will strike the Earth, there will be mass devastation, climate change, etc., and the human civilization will have to change the way it lives from then on. Aliens may finally make their presence known to the public as opposed to just the military and other select few, and will assist the survivors. It will be the dawning of a new era.

You asked. :cool:

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
The Mayan calander ends in 2012 and since they were buddy buddy with the spacemen some people think they knew when the end is coming.

According to the experts on shortwave the end will be here any day now. :eek:

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Well that's what I keep saying, but no one will listen. What people don't realize is that these aren't prophecies, they're warnings. Warnings that we just keep ignoring. So basically, it's what you would call a self fulfilling prophecy. If you go by the estimates, it's around Dec. 21st 2012, allowing for the proper adjustments.

Don't worry too much though, we're trying to find a way to stop it.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
:D Hah, I chose "Yes". I don't really think that it will end in 2012, really... I'll take a look at those links though.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
~Shard~ said:
Trying to, but won't succeed. The human race is simply too primitive when it comes down to it.
Not if we can help it.

Not saying it's going to be easy, but at least we're trying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.