The ending of The Sopranos *spoiler alert*

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by uberamd, Jul 9, 2009.

1. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

So during the last few months of the school year I was glued to my Apple TV watching episode after episode, season after season of The Sopranos. I watched all 6 seasons in no time flat, often with the intention of "just watching one episode before bed", and ending up watching 4 or 5 of them in a row. Sleep? Who needs it, sleep is for babies.

Anyway, during the end of the final episode I was at the edge of my seat. Everything hinted at an impending doom. Then, the end. Boom. Nothing. Black. Blank. WTFBBQ? Did my Apple TV break? Did my file not download properly? What happened?? Oh, thats how its supposed to end. Ugh.

So the ending upset me, because I am a man who wants a definitive conclusion. I read the essays online about what people think really happens, blah blah blah, I agree with a lot of people and think he got shot. Killed instantly, and thus the immediate black. But this makes me upset in a way, I had grown to really like the Soprano family, Tony and all. I honestly wanted a happy ending, but in my mind the ending was anything but and could have possibly included the murder of his entire family, with the exception of Medow.

So what do you guys think (if there are any fans out there in the Mac community)? Dead? Alive? Good? Bad?

Personally, I thought it was the best series I had ever seen. I am watching it all over again, it really is a masterpiece. It's one of those rare shows that I wish never had an ending, because I could envision the story going on and on and on without ever getting boring or repetitive. But thats just me. Am I alone on this?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I skipped right to the end, watched a few of the early episodes but it never stuck with me. Then I read about how good the ending was and just watched that episode.
    Maybe I didn't have the same attachment you did but I loved how unconventional the ending actually was.

That said if Lost goes on to have a similar, potential cop-out ending then I'll be annoyed. No matter how genius teh bloggers think it is!

3. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

I think the show starts off slow. The first half of the first season is slower, but after that it picks up.

4. Moles macrumors newbie

Sopranos Ending

Tony died, plain and simple. The foreshadowing was seen several episodes prior to the last one. He is dead, but the family lives on.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

6. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

The biggest clue, IMO, are the song choices shown on the jukebox:

"DON'T STOP BELIEVING / ANY WAY YOU WANT IT"

I believe the Sopranos live on, but it's just our view into their lives that ended. I can't think of anyone who was left in the show that had enough of a gripe with Tony to want him dead.

But the ending is open-ended enough that you can interpret it, like Journey once said, "any way you want it".

7. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

I read that the brother of Frankie (the boss they shot in the head towards the end) was the guy wearing the hat at the coffee shop. He went into the bathroom, came out, and shot Tony right in the side of the head, stopping what he (and what we) were seeing immediately. Maybe thats it, maybe not. I like your idea that they live on better.