The epic continues

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ivan P, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Greetings fellow MR members.

Some of you may remember my older threads concerning problems with my 2nd gen iPod touch and how Apple handled the situation. For those that didn't know, this is the main gist of it:

- I received my iPod touch at the end of September. It had a light leak along the right-hand side of the screen.
    - A couple weeks later I notice dust is getting into the iPod. I contact Apple and they tell me to send it to them.
    - I get the iPod back without no repairs being done, and whilst at Apple the backplate became covered in scratches and dented.
    - I contact Apple again, they said they'd look up my service history and call me back. Never did.
    - It turned out the lady I organised the service with had no idea what a "light leak" is, and as a result made up some crap about the battery being the problem; due to this the dust and leak were never looked at.
    - Sent my iPod in for the second time, and finally I get a replacement.
    - Cut to a week after getting my replacement iPod. No noticeable light leaks, yet there is a hell of a lot of dust under the screen; even more than on the iPod that DID have the light leak. To add to this, the screen creaks whenever I touch it, and if you look at it from the side you can see the screen moving "into" the iPod when I touch it (basically, the screen sticks out too far and whenever I touch it, it moves into where it's supposed to be).

So here I am organising my THIRD service request for my iPod within a month and a half or so.

Third time's the charm, eh?

2. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

Holy dooley Ivan!
    You've had heaps of trouble with your touches.
    I'd be mad as a cut snake myself. Good onya for sending it back a third time though. Hopefully the third time's not a snake charm.

Happy New Year!

3. Bennethon macrumors newbie

Hmm... Ive been considering getting my unit replaced because the volume buttons are loose... But this thread makes me nervous.

4. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Guys, I understand this is a massive bump but I have a bit of an important update with this whole iPod deal.

After my first post, I got pissed off at seeing heaps of dust under the screen again. My sister said it wouldnt bother her and she'd love to have that iPod, so I went and bought a 32GB touch. I sent a third letter to Apple, and this WAS responded to - but all it was was a letter printed straight from their website outlining my warranty status. This really annoyed me so I did something that may not have been exactly right, but what Apple geeks tend to do when they feel screwed over - I emailed sjobs@apple.com.

Well, it's been a little while since then, but my faith in Apple has been restored. Unexpectedly I was woken up this morning by my mum saying there's "some lady on the phone for me". Apple had read my email, passed it on to the Australian division, and then finally responded to me. The lady was so, so nice too, saying how she understands my disappointment in receiving back damaged goods and how I was lied to and never called back. She said that Apple is prepared to send me a pair of the in-ear headphones with remote, worth over $100, to make up for my problems. She even joked around with me asking about how many iPods I've had and seemed happy when I said even my first one, which is almost 4 years old, still gets daily use from my family. She's even given me her direct Apple number in case I have any problems in the future. Overall, I'm so happy right now.

Thank you Apple :)

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I"m happy to hear it!

I had a HORRID experience at the Genius bar. It got worse when i got home - and discovered what ALL he'd erased on my computer.

I tried to call to speak with the manager and was hung up on. So i called Cupertino.

It was refreshing to have someone willing to listen and state, repeatedly, "That we here at Apple know that without you, our customers, we don't have jobs."

That attitude was prevalent in my dealings throughout the whole week too, with her and then her Supervisor.

And yes, they did offer me something for my troubles, more than fair beyond what i could have dreamed up. I was sent a 500gb Time Capsule so i'd have a way to back up before the "Genius" went to work on my machine again. I can't even begin to explain how much that meant to me at that time - and up till now. It lifted a huge weight and I started crying when she said it to me.

ANYWAY, they do care about the customer experience. I've never had anyone care as much as them actually.

6. bjquach macrumors 6502

Instead of doing the mail thing, just go to an Apple store to do it. That way, you have the person's name who did the service for you.

7. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Nearest Apple Store = 3000 miles away :)

Literally on the other side of the country :p