The equivalent of a taskbar

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Shayne, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Shayne macrumors member

I work as a web developer working on an LMS for a small safety company and have recently made the switch to Apple. One thing I have noticed and can't seem to get information on is what does OSX have that's equivalent to the taskbar in Windows?

The dock only shows active applications which isn't too helpful. I typically have a few browser windows open a number of file folders open, various css and javascript documents open and various other applications in multiples but their doesn't seem to be a quick and intuitive way to go between the various windows of an application other then clicking on the icon in the dock and then cycling through them. Perhaps I'm missing something...

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The Dock + the Menu Bar.

The Dock can show all applications, as well as folders, hyperlinks, and specific documents.

3. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Simple, minimize windows you aren't currently using to the dock.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I forgot about minimizing! I haven't used it since Spaces.

5. Shayne thread starter macrumors member

Alright, I was hoping for something as elegant as the windows taskbar it makes finding the window or application you desire just a single click away. Spaces is what I'm using now but its still sort of a pain

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Drag your Applications folder to the Dock to make it a Stack. Click on your hard drive to find all of your files. Voila, fixed.

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

Not if you have multiple windows open for one application and you have it set to group them because otherwise you wouldn't be able to figure out which is which because the label is too small.

Exposé is pretty nice in that aspect.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Right Clicking (ctrl-click) on the icon on the dock will give you many options, and list the application's windows.

TEG

9. Shayne thread starter macrumors member

TEG: Thanks! You're solution is pretty much what I was looking for.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

key combo
    Cycle through windows: Command ~
    Cycle through apps: Command TAB

11. tdevers macrumors regular

I've found Exposé to be much more efficient in showing the open programs. I can visually recognize what program I need faster than I can read it on the task bar. It also reduces the amount of 'dead' screen space.

I also think its neat when you are viewing all of your spaces in one window, hit the Exposé button and it affects the apps in all of the spaces. Its the little things that count :cool:

12. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Just cause no ones said it yet ...

Cmd-Tab allows you to see all open applications and tab through them in a flash, instantly switching to that application and whatever space it's in. Works just like Alt-Tab in Windows. ;)

13. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Unless your in an app running "invisible" through dockless. (Confused me for a minute.) Thanks for the tip though, I didn't know that.:)