The essentials?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TJaames, May 5, 2010.

1. TJaames macrumors member

May 4, 2010
    Hey guys.
    I apologize if this has been asked before, but I'm a first-time mac owner with no experience with OS or anything of the sort. I received my 17" i5 MBP Friday night, and I had to send it back to Apple to be repaired today.

I'm just curious, being a new and first-time owner, what are essential programs, accessories (internal and external), and other things that are absolutely a must have for MBP.

I have the 17" i5 hi-res glossy machine, and the only things I own right now for it are Microsoft office business edition and AppleCare.
    I don't plan on doing anything too crazy with the computer. I'm a pretty bare-bones user. I'll be listening to music, internet, skype/ichat, possibly WoW if I decide to immerse myself back into it, etc.

Thank you in advanced for all your help.
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    You can get by with the default software just fine. It's usually better to determine what kind of program you need and then search for a solution- different things work for different people.

Bookmark Mroogle- you'll be able to find your answers on the forum a lot faster that way.
  3. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2006
    Renfrew, Scotland
    Unless you want to use it for anything specific, it probably comes with all you need. But try this list anyway.

Oh, and VLC is a must.
  4. elpmas macrumors 68000

Sep 9, 2009
    Where the fresh snow don't go.
    I think there's a thread somewhere below this one that says something about "Applications I love...". It pretty much has programs that users, just like yourself, likes to use on a daily basis. Hope this helps :]
  5. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Apr 7, 2010
    London, UK
    MS Office Business Edition? I might be wrong but don't you mean Office 2008 for Mac? BE I thought was distinctly for Windows.
  6. TJaames thread starter macrumors member

May 4, 2010
    Nope BE 2008 for Mac.

Thank you guys for the lists! I also want to know about things like the best cases, mice, etc. !
  7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

Mar 22, 2010
  8. RELOAD911 macrumors member

Dec 12, 2009
    I would recommend coconutBattery for monitoring your battery life condition and The Unarchiver for various types of archives extraction. Oh, and Perian instead of VLC but that's a matter of taste AND you'll still need VLC if you want to watch anything in MKV.