Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IndigoQuack

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Scotland
I popped into a local secondhand/thrift store on the way home, as I spotted an old iMac G3 through the window. I was shocked to discover that they were asking $149 for it!

To add insult to injury, it's a particularly dated machine, even by G3 standards! It's the original bondi-blue "Rev. B" version, with 96Mb RAM, 6Gb HD and OS 8.6 installed. It wasn't even in particularly great condition, so for this machine to carry such a price tag in 2011 is just unconscionable.

Then I noticed that they had an eMac too, for $249 (that G4 chip and 17" must be really worth the extra 100 bucks, eh?) I can't remember what the exact specs were for that one, but regardless, it's still a ridiculous asking price.

Or is it just me? Admittedly, I haven't been keeping check on the used PowerPC market lately, but those prices seem awfully high for what is now effectively antique hardware, especially when I've seen more recent G4, and even G5, towers advertised for not a whole lot more.

It's totally wrong of the seller to be selling these machines at that price, but then some of the responsibility has to lie with the buyer too, in researching their purchase beforehand and really knowing what they're getting.... Still, I can't help but feel bad that someone looking for a second computer, or a first computer for an elderly relative, will spring for a "deal" like that, and then be left sorely disappointed at its inadequacy.

Oh well. Has anyone else noticed any crazy-price PowerPC Macs lately?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I've seen G3 iMacs go for $200 at my local thrift place. Fun thing, its the organization's citywide "computer" place where they take the computers for fixing and selling. They had shelves of them. All colours and ages. They even had a 450Mhz Cube going for $500, with no screen or speakers. I offered them $10 for a G3 iMac, but they laughed at me. I laughed back saying, "You'll never sell those." and walked out.

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
I've seen some modestly ridiculous prices for PPC hardware, but that was in the DAW arena where you were basically buying a turnkey audio-editing platform, but even then it wasn't more money than the sum total value of the whole package.

$150 (CDN or otherwise) is a ludicrous sum to pay for a Bondi blue iMac. I'm guessing the proprietors of the shop just saw the Apple logo and priced things accordingly. ;)

Bloodstar

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
Philadelphia, PA, USA
A local place here is selling a Power Mac G5 1.6ghz for about $400-500.

...If I would get $200-300 for my G5 from them, I might sell it in a heartbeat. I love the thing, but... I really, actually need an Intel machine to keep myself from spending days at the college parked in front of one of the iMacs with Xcode 4. That is, if they even install it on them. (Unless I can get away with using a 3.* version somehow...) Unfortunately, they generally see PPC machines as largely worthless nowadays...

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
The few times I sold parts for or PPC machines themselves, I refuse to sell them to the person unless they know EXACTLY what they are getting themselves into. I also make sure I price them very very low. People see "Mac G4" and it's shiny in the front and they think it must be modern, buy it, try to install Starcraft 2 and then flip **** that they got ripped off.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
I've seen some insane prices on website from major Apple refurbished and used sellers.

For example, the iMac 1.42ghz I recently picked up for $30, and seems to actually sell for a range of $50-100, is $400 on some of those sites.

The 1.42 ghz MDD G4 PowerMac I picked up for $100 is $800 on some of those sites, but a more realistic price is $100-200.

I see a lot of sites with those crazy prices. I can't believe they actually sell anything at those prices, but since so many sites are priced like that, someone must be paying those prices sometimes?

IndigoQuack

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
Scotland
The few times I sold parts for or PPC machines themselves, I refuse to sell them to the person unless they know EXACTLY what they are getting themselves into. I also make sure I price them very very low. People see "Mac G4" and it's shiny in the front and they think it must be modern, buy it, try to install Starcraft 2 and then flip **** that they got ripped off.

Exactly! My worry is that someone who doesn't know a lot about Macs, but fancies getting in on the action because they already have an iPhone/iPod, will see the :apple: at a second-hand store and think they're getting a "bargain" for $150, not realizing how far behind the curve these old PPC machines are.

That's the 'problem with Apple equipment; it's so well designed, that the Macs often don't look as dated as they are!

dtechlogic

macrumors regular
May 15, 2011
I just gave away my Apple Power Macintosh G4 400 (AGP) Specs.

I found a decent home for it. I added almost 1GB of rams to it and install tiger x on it. install open office, and the software that someone can use at school. The fater could not afford the mac so i gave him mine. I did have an extra CRT monitor with keyboard and mouse that they can use. I have given away a older mac and also an older pc p3 to my uncle kid. Same situation. . Now i feel happy since i got a new mac pro.

Attachments

• IMAG0162.jpg
    IMAG0162.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 102

stroked

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Not long ago, there was an iBook G3 on CL for $180. Sometimes there are G4 laptops, for $250 to $300. I'm tempted to sell my list my G4s, and take advantage of someone.,

fandsw

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Helena, AL
Not long ago, there was an iBook G3 on CL for $180. Sometimes there are G4 laptops, for $250 to $300. I'm tempted to sell my list my G4s, and take advantage of someone.,

G4 laptops, especially the Leopard compatible ones over 1GHz, make fine netbook alternatives. I'm looking for a 12" G4 PowerBook 1.5Ghz myself to replace an ASUS netbook being used as a digital command center for my model railroad. That netbook was the last bastion of Windows in my house, and even it's limited role I'm tired of waiting for OS and virus updates that take 20 minutes to install when I turn on the machine once a week.

All I need is Tiger or Leopard for the digital command center, iTunes 9 for home music sharing from my Mac Pro so I can listen to some tunes while working on my layout, and Safari, all of which a G4 can handle easily. Hope to snag me a real nice 12" PB soon in the $150-175 range to replace that POS netbook....

Last edited by a moderator:

In-Correct

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
DFW, TX USA
Too Much:

:eek: that is too much simply because of the low RAM and the small hard drive space!! 8.6 is too old... 9.2.2 is much better, because 8.6 can't even mount USB storage devices!! :confused:

As for the ethics question, I am guessing that these sellers are thinking that simply because it is :apple: that an older computer can be a collectible.

I like the older computers, but I will never pay that much for one. ;)

One time I was in a sneaky repair shop for regular Windows PCs, and they were selling an imac G3 and I am not sure what version it was...but they gave the "We don't know anything about them." excuse.

Hopefully people won't buy a vintage computer at that price. They will probably look everywhere to see who sells them for the lowest.

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
dont over think it, its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

In the past i have payed a premium for boxes that have been "old" in other peoples eyes, but it was what i wanted, so i payed for it. simple.

lbmontez

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011
Texas
I looked around on eBay for the last two weeks for an iBook G4 "late 2005" laptop. Nearly every single one I found were going for like $250+! I got lucky and found a guy selling one he refurbed for $140. (Even threw in a new power cord because the original one just looked a tiny bit faulty, but still worked! Go me!) I thought it was ridiculous to be selling them over $200...unless it was in mint condition, and I mean MINT. :)

Joelb955

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
On craigslist... unbelievable. People think these machines have been sent from the gods. Some G4's go up to 500, a bare minimum for G3's is 100. It's very stupid. Considering they are so old. Of not for the high prices i would be using one right now instead of my macbook pro. But if im gonna shell out money i want more bang for my buck.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I bought a G4 iMac for £100 from a guy who clearly didn't know what it was. Sold it for £250 a week later. Macs have a high selling price.

quasinormal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Sydney, Australia.
PPC is virtually worthless.
I sold my beautiful G4 dual processor 1.42Ghz PM with 2Gb RAM, 2 x500GB HDs, SATA card, airport, 23' + 17" ACD screens for $200 recently. I probably could have got more for it (i sold it to my boss), but not much

Six months before that, I had to give a similarly fully specced 867Ghz PM away because i couldn't sell it.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
dont over think it, its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

In the past i have payed a premium for boxes that have been "old" in other peoples eyes, but it was what i wanted, so i payed for it. simple.

That's it. If someone wants to pay the price it's on them. No ethics involved at all.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I have a iMac G3 (450Ghz) and a Powerbook G4 (1500Ghz) that are both fully loaded and I am keeping them. I have tons of OS 9 games that run great on the iMac and I run my old PowerPC native stuff like Adobe CS products that I got using educational pricing. I could have gotten $200 for my Powerbook for Internet use and word processing but I really think a novice user should have a modern machine or at least a cheap Windows 7 PC. I agree that it isn't right for people to spend so much on obsolete hardware unless it is going to a collector or to run some rare or old software.

ault45

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
Delaware, OH
I look at it like this, something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. I guess that doesn't excuse price gouging, but if someone wants it at that price, good for the seller I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.