The ever present iPhone sync/backup/update question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by illjazz, Sep 21, 2010.

1. illjazz macrumors regular

Scenario: I'm at my place. So is a friend. She plugs her iPhone into my MBP. iTunes starts and tells me there's an update available. Said friend, for financial reasons, does not have real internet access at home and simply uses iPhone tethering when she needs Internet access on her Macbook. So, I want to do her a favor and install the latest iPhone firmware update. On MY MBP.

Now, can I force a backup of HER iPhone to my MBP by right-clicking it in iTunes, do the update, then restore? I'm always afraid to move forward with this type of thing because the goal, of course, is that the update go smoothly and the friend not even notice (except for new features etc.) that I did anything. Would this work?

Is there an alternative method?

Thanks!

2. Sheeds macrumors member

Sheeds

I did the exact same thing. On a friend's iPhone (I have one too).

I did a manual backup by right clicking, updated, and restored from the backup. Simple and it worked.

3. illjazz thread starter macrumors regular

Cool! Was everything the way it was before updating? All texts, call history, apps, settings etc.?

Also, when we do this, does that person's own computer then ask to delete everything on the next sync the way it would when you try to sync your iPhone with a computer other than the one you usually sync with? That would also be quite a pain in the ass...