The Extended Desktop Thread (Dual Displays/External Monitors)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benlangdon, Mar 2, 2008.

1. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

As it states, post does, don'ts, tips, tricks, and advice for dual displays (monitors), extended desktop, and items dealing with that topic.

As i am in need of some dire information and cannot seem to find anything substantial.
    All tips posted, will be edited into my first post as to keep it consolidated, informative, and organized.

I will start off with something very simple but very helpful to know.

1. You may move the menu bar and dock to the other screen by accessing system preferences / display / arrangement, and simply drag and drop then menu bar on to the screen of your choice.

2. Arrange the screens logically in the preference pane / display, as they are in real life. It is very hard on the brain to have to move your cursor left to get to the screen to your right.

3. If any display is not achieving the listed resolution or not performing as normal try reseting the display settings and saved info before trying anything else, while starting up hold P+R+Apple(key)+Option.

4. If your extended display will not go to the correct resolution try starting the computer with the display attached then closing it immediately, the machine will boot using the external display in the proper resolution. Now open the on board display, go into system prefs / displays and then press detect displays. The on board display activates, and the external is at proper res.

5. Multiple displays such as 2, 3, and even 4 display plus the laptop display may be achieved with items such as
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/home.php
    there are also many more products on the market as well.

6. Calibration of extended desktop can be achieved by placing the menu bar on the external display and calibrating as you would with it on the laptop screen. Web sites such as http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/ with there program called SuperCal will complete this task for you. It is compatible with OS X and OS 9.

7. When disconnecting or reconnecting external monitors, there is no need to do anything besides unplugging or re plugging it in. When you do either a blue screen should come up and then your desktop should appear.

To calculate the Pixels Per Inch (PPI) and the Dot Pitch (line pitch, phosphor pitch or pixel pitch)

http://www.thirdculture.com/joel/shumi/computer/hardware/ppicalc.html

or for just the PPI try

number of horizontal pixels
    -------------------------------- = # of horizontal pixels
    number of horizontal inches

For example:

1024 pixels
    --------------------- = 102.4 pixels per horizontal inch
    10 inches wide

for more info on both of these try
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_pitch

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Always arrange the screens logically (in the preference pane) as they are in real life. It is very hard on the brain to have to move your cursor left to get to the screen to your right.

TEG

3. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

little up date with more info coming
    thanks for everyone in the new extended display picture is enlarged on new one, how to shrink it? thread.

4. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

Looking for information on "Do's and Don'ts" with extended displays.

When I am plugging in or unplugging my display, I always put my MBP to sleep first. Is this necessary or can I make the switch while running fully logged in?

Mods: Feel free to delete this post since the info was added above...

5. Heston macrumors regular

Speaking of external monitors, how do you get an external monitor to be the primary monitor in Boot Camp? I can't seem to get it to work with my Macbook Pro.....

6. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

no you do not need to put your computer to sleep.
    just unplug and the screen should turn blue, then be back to normal.
    you can also reconnect it while its running also

added. thank you for asking

7. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

once i get a service pack 2 disk ill work on it but... ya if you find out, please let us know and i will add it

8. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

You can't. Windows, for whatever reason, requires the internal display to be the primary screen in Bootcamp Windows XP. I have never been able to get it to do otherwise. I believe I was able to shift it in Vista/

9. Pukey macrumors 6502

Pukey

Great thread benlangdon! I know this will come in handy when I get my setup.
    Thanks!

10. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya if you find it i would be highly grateful for me and the sake of this thread as it is still growing.