The External Conundrum (Hard Times with Hard Drives)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aCondor, Sep 3, 2011.

1. aCondor macrumors 6502

My Fellow Mac Fans,

I have a problem that needs solving. This problem has been a problem for many problem-filled days and to this day continues to be a problem.

My problem is related to my WD 750 GB external hard drive. I've had it for several years, and used it with my PC. It's about half-full.

Now, I've been playing around with my 2011 Macbook Pro for several months and its 300 GB hard drive is full. I want to do a clean install of the OSX to get rid of some of the unnecessary files and apps.

Here's where the problem comes in. There's a large amount of music, movies, and apps that I would like to save from my MBP. There's a large amount of data that I would also like to save from my WD external hard drive. However, the WD is formatted in NTFS - I cannot transfer any files from my Mac to the WD.

I've been mulling purchasing another external hard drive, but was hoping there were other suggestions that could save me the $100. My goal is to have all my data saved and the WD external drive formatted to be able to interact with Macs.

Sincerely,

Perpetually Perplexed Person

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Paragon's NTFS for Mac - $20. Works well for me (although I got it when it was free a few weeks ago). It lets you format and write to NTFS drives and adds more options in Disk Utility (see attached pic).

Attached Files: