iPhone X The faceapp that makes you old

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anitak1982, Jul 22, 2019.

1. anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

I downloaded this app and messed with it for about an hour and never posted anything online with it. I want to know is deleting it all that was needed? Has my information been compromised?

2. now i see it macrumors 68040

The image processing is done on servers in Russia. You can't delete an image from their server and they can do whatever they want with it.
    Do your homework before using apps

3. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Once you use it, they have whatever you input into it (face, data etc...).

4. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Yep, I used it to see what I'd look like as a naked old man. Only later I read up about the whole thing, plus it only works on faces anyway...

Whelp. Joke's on me. Or more specifically, the poor Russian who saw my Hercules pose.

5. anitak1982 thread starter macrumors 6502

anitak1982

Oh well, it is what it is. Nothing i can do now.

6. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

I used the app for about a minute then deleted, but didnt give it permission to access my photo app.
    I'm guessing if you give access to your pics the most it would get is thumbnails of images, probably not even that tbh

7. JBGoode macrumors 6502

JBGoode

I used it and the result was remarkably realistic (and frightening). From my understanding, as long as you don't allow access to your photo library, the only pics they get are the ones you use for processing the effect and the resulting pics. I'm not too worried about it. I'm secretly hoping I see my old man face on an ad for Russian vodka.

8. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

Last count I saw was over 150,000,000 people have used it. If they find value in my face for biometric identity or free use in ads over the ranks of celebrities who have used it then they can have at it.

9. now i see it macrumors 68040

in this age of iOS app fatigue, developers know they're not gunna make much money on any app they make nowadays. So it's my opinion that the first course of action devs come up with before typing a single line of code is: How to screw over the customer in a nefarious way to be able to monetize their app through private data slurping and data brokering.
    It's rampant. Even on iOS.

10. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I'm not quite that cynical about developers

I already look quite old, so a mirror worked fine for me, no need for the app