The fan noise, it is driving me MAD

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by cyndigo, May 26, 2012.

1. cyndigo, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 26, 2012

cyndigo macrumors newbie

Hello :)

I have a 1st gen 1.6G PPC G5 running 10.5.8 and have loved it since Day 1. Almost the only thing ever running is Camino with 4 or 5 tabs, but the fan noise is now driving me mad. CPU fan often goes over 5000 RPM and it's so annoying.

Screenshot of iStat readings here:
    http://tinypic.com/r/zwm3aw/6

I've seen a lot of suggestions, but wondering in what order one should proceed to eliminate this problem. Don't really WANT to buy a new machine but may have to... any help much appreciated.

2. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Go into system preferences, under energy and all that or whatever its called ( On my XP box atm lol, sorry ), turn CPU performance from automatic to highest. Should fix it.

And use tenfourFox lol

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The air intake for G5 iMacs gets clogged with dust easily. If you're brave you could take it apart and clean it.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Like Intell said, try and get some of the dust out of there, even if just opening the side and cleaning the case in general if you don't want to take things apart. I use a vacuum with the little tube add-on in my machines (most say not to do it, but hey it works for me) and it makes a HUGE difference afterwards. I had a 2006 MBP which would blast its fans very, very, very loud at times and getting the dust out helped greatly.

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

I hate loud mac's also...was main reason i sold my QS a couple years back....and a MDD would drive me insane.

6. drorpheus macrumors regular

your cpu is much hotter than it should be, blowing air at the heatsink wont slow down the fans, you need to re apply new thermal grease to the cpu and rerun the thermal calibration for the unit, that should bring the temps down 15-20 degrees which will cause the fans to run less and should idle at like 300rpm and max out at like 3000rpm. For G5's Apple used Shin Etsu X23-7783D you'd also need ASD 2.5.8 to rerun the thermal calibration, after that it should near back to new.

7. cyndigo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks you! I should have added that I open it and blow out dust regularly. Will give all of these a try and report back.

8. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

It's because vacuum and bristles creates static.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Even if I use the tube that's attached to the vacuum and add a separate add-on?

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes. Quickly moving particles and dust creates static electricity and it is then stored and amplified by the plastic hose and tubing.

11. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Hope you only use air from a can instead of a compressor or the like, what you do(if not using air out of can) is even worse than vacuuming.

I normally do it with a anti static cleaning brush, and if you really want to be on the safe side use an anti static wrist band.