The fan on my MB aluminum

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WhyRy, Mar 25, 2009.

1. WhyRy macrumors newbie

I love my macbook which is why I try to keep it in the best possible condition. I got it a little over a month ago. It is the aluminum Macbook 2.0. Today I turned it on and something that has never happened before happened. My fan was on. This has never happened before, usually when I turn on my Macbook I hear the sweet sound of NOTHING. Can anyone tell me the things I can do to stop this because I am a bit worried. Also when I watch videos on youtube or MegaVideo it starts to overheat. Any suggestions on how to stop this.

~WhyRy:confused:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Flash is a very CPU hungry plug-in for OS X. You're going to have your fans spin up when watching flash video online.

3. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

First, your Mac is not overheating on youtube -- it's just getting hotter. It's almost certainly nothing to worry about. This happens because these sites use Flash, which is a poorly written program plug-in that uses an unreasonable amount of processor power. This is exactly the same reason that Flash does not exist on the iPhone. You might get some relief from downloading the latest version of Flash (make sure you have Flash 10, which is a little better than Flash 9).

I don't know why your fans went on full power today. Are you certain it wasn't the CD drive? If the Mac was off/sleeping and cool, and you opened it to a blast of fan noise (NOT CD noise), then there's probably something wrong. You can look on Apple's website on how to reset the parameter RAM. If that doesn't work, try resetting the PMU (again check Apple's website).

4. WhyRy thread starter macrumors newbie

You were right it was the CD drive, or some other component for the laptop that was making the buzzing noise. (The fan is actually on right now) Thank you for the help. I will learn to educate myself before I yell wolf

5. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Weird my macbook has always had its fan on... or i think it is. Its very quiet though... I can tell its on because theres a slight vibration... isnt that the fan?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1800 RPM on the WhiteBook and 2000 RPM idle speed on the new Aluminium models.

7. dwsolberg macrumors 6502a

The slight vibration is more likely the hard drive because the fan at idle (as stated above -- around 2000 rpm) really doesn't make any vibration and very little noise.