The Feedback I gave Apple about my Original iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ouimetnick, Jun 27, 2009.

1. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Hello. I have a great working Original iPhone 2G with 8 GB of storage and have run into a few issues. I don't use it as a phone. I use it as an iPod touch with a camera and good speaker. It also does not have a SIM card installed. So when ever I update the OS or restore it, it brings me into the Activate iPhone mode. I always have to borrow my brother's at&t sim card from his 3G in order to use my phone again. I understand that If you have the original sim still installed on the iPhone, even if it is not active, you can restore/update. My issue is that I don't want to buy a new AT&T sim card, activate and then cancel the service. It is too much work. Right now I'm happily running iPhone OS 3.0 on the 2G, but sometimes the phone gets corrupted and has 6 GB of "other" I know I can hactivate my iPhone, and jailbreak, unlock and more, but I really don't want to void my warranty so I never will do any of those options. So If Apple could enable Original iPhone users that use their device as an iPod touch with no Sim card installed in it to upgrade and restore with out any issues, that would be great.

2. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

Void your warranty?
    You do not have warranty, you only have warranty for one year after the date you buy the phone.

3. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

...unless you bought Apple Care.

4. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

you have no warranty and you agreed to have a phone/data plan when you purchased your iPhone so Apple has no obligation to let you use your phone as an iPod touch. The bottom line is you need to buy an iPod touch.

5. ouimetnick thread starter macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Look. My brother bought the device, and then when the 3G came out, he swapped it out and then bought the 3G. I got a like new iphone 2G. When I bought it from him, he removed the sim. He lost it so... But it was used as a phone, now it is just being used as an iPod touch. The warranty doesn't expire until july 17, 2009. However it also says it is eligible for the Apple Care Protection plan. the guy at the store said it too. My warranty on the Original iPhone now won't expire until July 17, 2011

6. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

What? Was the first-gen iPhone in question bought on July 17th, 2008? Because that's the only way the warranty would last until July 17th, 2009. And yes, it is eligible, if AppleCare was purchased for the device. Was AppleCare purchased for the device?

Either way, the warranty status is besides the point. The iPhone wasn't designed to be used without it's cellular service. If you do not want to have to re-activate/etc, simply don't update the OS on the device.

7. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

iPhone Apple Care is only 1 year. So if it is eligible to be bought still, it will expire in July 2010.