the fight was worth it...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by manhattanmania, Aug 26, 2008.

1. manhattanmania macrumors regular

last week i posted on here about my iphone all of a sudden giving me no service with 3G turned on in places i always had full service. the phone would go to no service instead of switching to edge, so i knew it wasn't that all of a sudden my apartment and office had no service... new sim didn't help either.

went to the apple store and the "genius" didnt want to hear it, even tho i had about 70 screenshots showing the phone w/ no service w/ 3G on. to this he said i was in a no service area, even after i explained that i was in places i always was AND showed him screenshots that once i turned 3G off, i had full edge service within a minute of the screenshots that showed no service w/ 3G on. clearly, something faulty. he really still didnt want to hear it, but he did not have an answer to "well, if there was no 3G, why is it saying no service instead of switching to edge?"

[of course i was also plagued by internet hardly working and really slow speeds, but those can be blamed on ATT much more]

his diagnostics said the 3G chip was fine, but i continued to argue as he continued to try to blame ATT. after 10 more minutes of him not being able to answer my question, he finally agreed to replace it, with a stern warning this was a one-time thing, and if this problem continues, i'll have to take it up with ATT. i agreed.

a few days later, new iphone arrives, and... WHOA. i have never experienced such fast 3G speeds with the iphone, even before it got all whacky. i know, "placebo effect," but im pretty sure i can tell that theres a huge difference. i've used it all day and haven't had the "server stopped responding" crap and the agony of waiting forever and a day for a site to load. safari is extremely snappy now, to the point where i'm actually impressed with the speed.

hopefully this keeps up, just wanted to share and tell anyone w/ 3G issues to argue the crap out of apple. while some of the fault probably is the network, i think some early phones are faulty.

do yourself a favor and get your phone replaced! :)

2. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

You just had to go there didn't you. :)

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

hate the snappy.

congrats tho. same happened to me. had a crappy chip I guess. replacement rocks the GGG at 1.5mb on the top end, that is unless it decides it needs an Airplane mode toggle, which happens about once a day.