The files and folders on my desktop are gone!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by IKjoshy, Aug 27, 2014.

1. IKjoshy macrumors newbie

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I'd like to ask help on a particular problem I've experienced today.

Okay the problem is, all the files and folders that are on my desktop had disappeared without a trace. All was still fine in the morning when I first opened my mac then when I went to use my mac in school, I was in shock to find out that my files are gone.

I think it might have something to do with the startup disk. I think some parts became corrupted? (I'm not familiar with some terms regarding this, sorry).

TIME MACHINE isn't an option because unfortunately I didn't enabled it.
    I also tried to download tinkertools in hopes that maybe the files were hidden but still it didn't fixed it.

Some changes that I noticed while searching for a solution:
    1. The name of my startup disk has changed.
    2. There was only 4gb left on my space before and after that it went up to 36gb.
    3. There are still traces of the files that were lost on the recent items as well as the folders on my dock, but they can't be opened.

And lastly, I don't know if this might have affected it, but before this happened, I was turning on my mac and accidentally clicked on the GUEST ACCOUNT by accident when I was supposed to access my own account. The startup took awhile, I thought it was nothing (My mac is a bit old) so I held the power button long enough for the mac to shutdown and start it up again, and then the problem occurred.

Please help me, there some really important files that were lost, as well as my thesis files. Is there some software I can use to recover my files? Or any solution, I'll desperately try them all. Thanks!

2. illusionx macrumors 6502

Have you tried logging out and going back to your account?

3. IKjoshy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, a couple of times already. The files still can't be found.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Just in case the files are still there and you just fine them right now.......connect a drive and set up TM now ....before things get worse.

Anything in the trash?