The finalists: Waterfield Sleeve, Booq Vyper, Hard Candy Bubble Sleeve

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by unagimiyagi, Jul 25, 2011.

1. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Any pros/cons?

I am after protection protection protection (but still in a sleeve form factor). Looks and price are secondary.

Can anyone with actual knowledge tell me if waterfield sleeves, a soft sleeve, will protect better than a vyper or a bubble sleeve, which are both hard cases?

2. stevenpa macrumors 6502

3. FieldingMellish Suspended

For $30.00 or less, this Case Logic has some more pockets. Light as a feather and carries so much in a slim appearance. Others, like some mentioned in the OP's post that fit too perfectly, look bulging when you put your every day needs in there as well.

http://www.caselogic.com/14_laptop_...l/index.cfm?modelid=147737&productid=10011382

I got the ~13 size for my 11, because I want to avoid having to so carefully insert the laptop, like in the scene where the Starship Enterprise slowly backs into the bay of a space station. :) For me, the 11 is all about grabbing it out and using it whenever the need arises and stashing it back with unconcern.

4. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

No idea if it will protect in real world scenarios, but I have the bubble case for my 11" and I do like the red rubber stoppers that hug the sides of the MBA.

I can't imagine a soft case would offer better protection.

5. iZeeshan macrumors regular

6. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I like how all the replies have been about other cases when OP has already narrowed it down to 3 finalists.

OP, I personally have the Booq Vyper, which I got with my 2010 MBA (now a 2011). I dropped my 2010 in it like 3 times with no damage (no scratches, scuffs, dents at all). I can't address the comparative protectiveness with the other cases, but it definitely does well protecting the machine.

7. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

I am a sucker for the Waterfield products after having a bag that still looks new long after I would have replaced any other bag I have owned.

8. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

Ultimate Protectio

Try the link I posted its got a sleeve that can be run over by a car and still keep your MBA intact!

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Personally, I think the Hard Candy semi-hard sleeve will offer better protection than the Booq Viper or Waterfield sleeve.

It may be annoying to use, though. You need to put your MBA within those orange rubber corners, which isn't as convenient as some of the soft, slip-in sleeves that are pretty much like envelopes.

And just to add my 2 cents: If you're after fantastic protection, I believe the Be.ez LA Robe sleeves (they're the "soft" type) are incredible, and will offer better protection than most of those fancy wool soft-cases that people keep mentioning (protects from scratches, but physical impact? Doubt it.....), as well as the semi-hard cases.

10. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Waterfield is an easy recommendation for quality and service.

11. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

+1. That's what I use on my Air and I love it. Can't beat the quality or customer service. I highly recommend them. It offers great protection as well.

12. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Speck See-Thru Case: Anyone Using It?

I'm considering the Speck See-Thru Case: http://www.speckproducts.com/seethru-macbook-air-case-11-clear.html

My tiny messenger bag has very little extra space and I'm thinking that the Speck case will add durability without too much bulk and I won't have to remove the MBA from a sleeve in order to use it.

13. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Booq Vyper. I have and recommend this. It very durable, soft on the inside, and has a couple extra pockets for papers, whatnot. The only downside is that it adds considerable thickness in your bag compared to a simple sleeve. Plus no handle, but thats not a biggie to me.