The financial leap to 256GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Floris, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Over time we see tech change.

You wait and wait until you finally experience a retina display, and you notice how poor the other screens suddenly look. You never want to go back. Sometimes you can say to yourself. From next year on, retina, or at least 4k, monitors only.

You wait and wait until you finally try out an ssd drive, and you notice how slow the older spinning drives are. You never want to go back, except for perhaps a second drive for media storage, backup, etc. But, you could say to yourself. From now on, ssd only.

I have the same with system memory, once I moved to 64 bit, I wanted 64 bit and didn't see the need to limit my tech to 32, because now I can have 8gb ram, and boy does it perform nice on 8gb. And in a year or so I am sure 16gb will become the new standard. So I say to myself, when I get a new system, at least 8gb ram, and I want to be able to easily upgrade the ram as well.

And I have the same with the phones. I waited until i could get a retina. And I waited until there was 64bit before I upgraded. And now I feel I am waiting until I can get 256.. oh wait, it's here!

We all feel this day that 16gb storage is for facebookers, who don't do media stuff or play games on their phones. Or just business people who need a phone and the boss got the whole team the 16gb model. Stuff like that, but you and I would probably not get 16gb unless money really is the problem. And I will come back to that in a second.

I now feel after going from 16 on the 4, to 32 on the 5s, and I now have 64gb storage on the 6splus, that I just don't want to go back to normal size - plus onwards! And I feel 64gb is the minimum. And what does apple do? Yep, take it away, make 32 the new 16. And 128 the new 64. So the next phone I get is 128gb, or better. And that's where this thread comes into play. If you are still here *waves* HI! Thank you for letting me explain my train of thought.

Mentally, and financially, do I take this leap and skip the 128 and go straight to 256 and say to myself '128 is the new 16...'? This would mean I have to stop consider getting the 7, and wait for the 7s, giving me another 12 months to save up the extra money for the 256.

The monthly fee might go up because the phone is a bit more expensive. I can't pay it outright, but the one time payment with my telecom will not be cheap. I would really have to save up.

Do I go the easy somewhat affordable way, forget about 16,32,64 and stick to 128, and forget about the 7plus, or do I man up and enjoy what I have and make the mental and financial leap to 256, with 512 in our future for the 8s or 9, etc.

If you are likeminded to me, and have these same sort of thoughts, I am curious to hear what you're thinking.

2. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

I'm doing 256 GB because we own all the Pixar movies and a bunch of other Disney movies - and we have an Apple TV installed in our Honda Odyssey. When taking trips we only watch movies that we have downloaded on our phones and stream them to the Apple TV - this allows us now to be able to take twice as many movies with us on road trips which can be a savior when you are talking 16+ hours in a van with a 7 year old, 2 toddlers and a baby.

If it wasn't for that I would stay at 128 GB as I don't save enough music files offline and only keep the apps that I use on a regular basis on my phone.

3. archer75 macrumors 65816

You worry too much. I've never needed more than 64gb in a phone. Even with all my apps. All my photos backup to several free cloud services and then I delete them from my phone. All my music is from streaming services. Even for video on a small screen you can encode that down to less than a gig and not lose any noticeable quality. What's the new whatever doesn't matter. Don't worry about other people do or what you perceive they do.
    All you need to worry about is how much storage do you really use? Stop worrying about hypotheticals.

4. ljx718 macrumors 6502

did you really have to say all that just to ask your question? wow

5. ashindnile macrumors 6502

Don't play into Apple's marketing. You're exactly what they want.
    Just take a look at how much storage you've using on your current phone, and if it isn't enough, get more. And don't put in stuff you don't really need, and even 128 can be overwhelming.

6. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Yes, unnecessary long post...you'll be fine with 128gb.

7. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I still have 93gb available on my launch day 128 6S+. I'm going with 128 again.

8. Floris thread starter macrumors 68020

Floris

If you guys open a thread and it's not a topic you're interested in, and you just come here to skip the text and then post some trash, you might as well just skip the thread and focus on what does interest you. I don't go to your house either to tell you I don't like the way you put furniture in your house and say "all this, just to have a chair .. there?".

It's my thread, and it literally says if you're likeminded then I am curious to hear what you have to say. Sorry to hear your Internet experience is limited to tl;dr at the top and instant judgements. Please go elsewhere and stop polluting the thread. Much appreciated.

9. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

It's s public forum. Goes with the territory

10. Floris thread starter macrumors 68020

Floris

and

Fair point, my current setup is 64gb, and I do a lot of testing for upcoming projects, that's media, 4k recordings, videos, slowmo, panos, headers for sites, lightroom stuff, timelapses, etc. And with cleaning up the device I notice it has about 12gb free space and if I don't clean it up, it risks being unable to complete the 4k recording or editing. That said, I do also have huge 1gb podcast files once in a while. So it adds up fast. I am happy with 64, I am happy to read you're ok with 128 for sure.

Good stats, thanks for making the time to read and post. Same as the above, I feel it's more a mental struggle than what reality should be. Looking forward to more people who want to jump on the 256gb wagon or stick to 128gb.

11. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Too defensive, dude.

Doesn't bother me...I skimmed thru your post anyway.

But the advice still is good. Unless you plan to increase your current usage by better than 2x, the 128gb is plenty.

But buy the 256gb if you want. No skin off my back.

12. DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

I've been on 64gb for my Air2 and 6Plus. For me, 64GB was a nice "sweet spot". Enough room for apps, some pic's and videos and some movies to watch on the plane when I travel. When I went to the iPad Pro 9.7, I went with the 128GB and will do the same if I get an iPhone 7.

In my mind, 128 is the new 64 and gives and "average" user like myself a bit of headroom.

13. chabig macrumors 68040

If you want 256GB, you can buy that today. I don't understand why you think you'd need to wait another year for it.

14. Jnyce macrumors regular

With a 2 year old, I take a lot of videos and pictures so I went with the 256gb. I also teach so I have all my lessons and PowerPoint on my phone as a back up. Moving up from the 64gb which only has 2gb left.

15. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Actually, if we were talking about iPads...there, I'd buy the 256gb model. But that's because the use model is different.

16. Mindbender14 macrumors regular

128gb will be fine. I have a 64gb now and take tons of 1080p60fps video. Haven't had any problems so far. I take it off the phone for editing and then delete. Hasn't been burdensome. I'm excited about the bump to 128gb. I did consider the 256gb but decided I didn't need it.

17. MVallee macrumors 6502a

MVallee

There's really no point in getting more storage if you don't need it so take a look at what you are using and see how much you would use.

Getting too little storage can be just as bad. I had the 64gb 5S and was always tight on room and then I grabbed a 64gb 6 Plus at launch. It was a reflex because that's what I had before but I had it 98% full on launch day and have been struggling with storage for two years now. I realized my mistake right away and would have exchanged it for 128gb at the time but it was sold out for weeks and I missed the return window by the time it was in stock near me. I was planning on going for 128gb this year anyway so I'm glad it dropped in price. 256gb feels like overkill for me, at least for now.

If you are concerned about the price another thing to consider is that you pretty much loose the premium you pay for storage when you sell the device. You can sometimes get a little more for a device with higher storage but nowhere near the amount you paid to go up to the next tier. If you don't even come close to using the 256gb that's money wasted.

18. rawlus macrumors 6502

The availability and ease of cloud storage has revered the pursuit of increased on-phone storage capacity... Why store locally when you can stream? That's my approach anyway. I have unlimited data so I prefer remote storage. I also don't game on my phone at all.

19. Xprmntr macrumors member

Xprmntr

Depends how you use your phone. If the new 7+ takes 4K at 60 FPS and you're at a location with no Internet connection shooting all day, that extra space is a godsend. I think the more space you have the more you'll naturally use. I like to keep my music on my device and to buy it, it sounds a lot better than streaming and when I am in the areas with no reception I can still enjoy my music as well as keep movies and games on the device. but I don't usually keep movies on, I just rent stuff nowadays.

And if you have a lot of music making apps you can have all of them on there and not worry about bumping up against your storage limit after recording a bunch of vocals or producing a good amount to music, Good complement to this though would be to have external high capacity SSD storage to back up everything .

20. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

My approach has always been to take the biggest storage option, based on me using the phone for 2 years and then my partner for another 2 years. My 128gb 6 is almost full as is my partners 5. I'll have another 128 to play with and she'all get 64 more. In another 2 years I expect to be in a similar situation.

We could both probably manage the storage better, but why waste the time? A annual cleanse of photographs to a laptop is all that's required now.