The First Couple Days with my New MacBook Pro =]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MB98XJ, Aug 3, 2009.

1. MB98XJ macrumors member

MB98XJ

I'm typing this thread on my new MacBook Pro that I purchased this weekend. I'm a incoming college freshman and needed a reliable notebook because my Dell Latitude wasn't so trustworthy. So far I'm in love. I was going to work out at the gym, but didn't want to leave the house because I wanted to stay glued to the Mac.

I wanted to say a couple things to give others a good idea about switching from PC to Mac. This is my first Mac computer and so far I am having no regrets at all. I purchased the 15" 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro from my university's bookstore, along with the "free" iPod Touch, and a free printer (The printer literally came free - none of this "rebate" business). The printer is an HP F4480 which I haven't taken out of the box yet, but it looks to be a pretty decent printer (I'm sure cartridges are going to be expensive, but I'm going to use the printer sparingly). It's an all-in-one which will be great for college.

As soon as we got home, I wanted to get cracking on the whole rebate business with my iPod touch, but I'm kind of hesistant to send in my ORIGINAL receipts into Apple. I went to print out the form I need to send in so I hooked it up to the family printer (K80 I think) and my Mac wouldn't recognize it, so I had to search for drivers and none were found, which is a bummer. =[

I debated over the 13" and 15" for a couple of weeks and posted a few threads about it and finally decided on the 15" because of the bigger screen. I would pick up the 13" and the portability factor is great, and then I turn and look at the 15" and the screen just is way more appealing than the 13". I would feel way to cramped on that screen, I'm pretty sure. Sure, it might be a hassle carrying the computer around on campus, but I should be fine because I can't bring the laptop to half my classes, so its whatever. I also debated for the longest time whether to get the dual graphics cards or just go with the 9400M, because I'm a student and the extra $250 goes a long way. But, I stuck with the 9400 because my Mac-savvy friend told me I would never use it, and I don't do any gaming or video editing or anything like that.

The screen and brightness are out of this world. The processor is speedy and apps load very quickly. Safari takes about 3 bounces and iTunes takes anywhere from 3-5 bounces (I've only got about 30 songs).

Photo booth is really cool. I'm loving the different effects and the clarity of the iSight camera and the moving backgrounds such as the rollercoaster. I'm looking forward to getting more backgrounds for it also.

As far as the noisy superdrive, Yes It is noisier than most CD/DVD drives that I've seen, but to be completely honest, I don't care what sound it makes. I'm not too picky about stuff like that.

The light up keyboard is great, and watching movies from DVD and Netflix "Watch Instantly" are great quality (better than my old dell). In the past couple of days, I've watched about 4 movies on it and I am completely in love. The glossy screen is great. I don't see it being such a pain or wishing I had a matte screen. Personally, I think Apple should have gone with the silver border around the screen instead of the black, but none-the-less it looks awesome.

The keyboard seems pretty sturdy, with the exception of the eject key. I tried using it a couple different times and it didn't work so I figured I was doing something wrong, but earlier today I pressed the eject button harder than normal and the disc came out. Just happens that I wasn't pressing hard enough.

I purchased an incase sleeve for it to go in my backpack and I'm concerned about scratching the MBP on the zippers as I'm putting it in the sleeve and taking it out. Also, hopefully the computer will be safe along with my books and notebooks going to and from classes.

I am going to look into getting a clear plastic cover to offer some protection, so I don't to be so freaking delicate all the time (I'm so meticulous about my possessions. I don't want a scratch on this baby). So if anyone has any recommendations for casings, fire away. I'm open for suggestions.

I also purchased the Wireless Mighty Mouse. At first glance, it looks awesome. As soon as I hooked it up and customized the settings (turned everything all the way up) I was disappointed because the tracking seemed slightly off and weird. But I'm actually keeping an open mind and not only does it look awesome, but I'm getting really used to it and liking it a lot. I'm thinking its a keeper. Despite the fact that it works at the same caliber of my $20 wireless Targus mouse from Best Buy.

Since this is my first Mac, I'm looking for some suggestions on some different applications and things to check out that will open my eyes. I'm looking for some cool applications to download. Are there any apps that will help me study for school? I think someone here mentioned a flash-card app that would come in handy great.

IChat is really awesome, despite the fact that it is so glitchy when someone moves around. Hopefully Apple will smooth this out with Snow Leopard, because when I'm iChatting with some friends, it will glitch out all over the place, leaving weird blank spots. Not really sure what that's all about. I haven't purchased AppleCare but I will definitely buy it before my one year is up. Also, I'm looking for some backpack recommendations that my 15" will fit nicely in, along with some books.

To conclude this, I'm happy to say I will probably never buy another PC again. Mac is great and easy to use.

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Congrats, man! I'm totally in love with mine too! (Identical specs, probably :))

Oh yea, as for the app loading times, I would like to inform you that it does not have to do much with the processor but more with the hard drive. The faster the computer can read the info, the faster it comes up.

Any cool apps? Well... I'm a tech freak, so I use stuff like Coconut battery and iStat Pro.

More can be found here. http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=571489 Very useful.

Try the free photo editor GIMP. It's pretty much Photoshop-$700. Works great. Be sure to install X11 first, though.

Have fun!

Regards,
    Airplaneman:cool:

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Congratulations on the purchase and making your way over to the "light side". The eject key and caps lock require a "press and short hold" rather than just a "press" to activate, Apple did it this way to prevent accidental presses from taking effect. Mouse tracking is a bit different on Macs than it is on PCs and is something that you'll have to just get used to.

4. moral-hazard macrumors regular

lol at the above comment...have fun with it and at college. make the most of it - freshman year was relaxing, classes were easy, and I had a blast. It only gets harder so enjoy it while its not too bad :D

5. Branskins macrumors 65816

You should take some pictures! :) Always exciting to show something off with some pics! Congrats!

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Sounds like you're a happy camper. Don't get too carried away with the OCD, its a portable machine and it will get some smears or fine scratches here and there. U can never have it completely perfect unless you keep it stowed in the box it came in.

7. Chris Grande macrumors regular

Chris Grande

There is a delay built into the eject key. You need to hold it down for about a second and a half for it to recognize that you want to eject the disk. This is so you don't eject disks by accidentally tapping it.

8. Cartman356 macrumors newbie

Just an idea for the mouse, you can change the mighty mouses tracking speeds via system preferences. Congrats on the new machine :)

-cart

9. a1rflow macrumors member

Get the speck SeeThru. I got it in clear and it's perfect.

10. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

Congrats man. I'm sure your Mac will make you happy for many, many more years to come.

I nearly read your full post (read bout 1/2, but got the gist of it... ;) - and I felt nothing but enthusiasm and a good vibe from you about your Mac.

You'll have fun. Enjoy.

Congrats again.

11. keatonEC macrumors newbie

i have to say that i got my macbook pro about 2 months ago. and i totally agree with you. I LOVE IT!!! I will never buy a pc again. I love how everything on it jus works. no installing extra stuff and addons to make applications work. well maybe some but not many.

anyways congrats on your new purchase man!!! have fun!!!

:D :apple:

12. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

I also got the 2.53 15" for University with the iPod Touch and Printer. Such a great computer.

13. specops macrumors regular

He beat me to it. :( but yeah your eject key is probably fine

14. puma1552 macrumors 601

I swear to god I saw this identical thread two weeks ago.

15. phooi macrumors regular

Congrats on the new mac! I was a convert like yourself. A couple of programs I highly recommend:

1. adium for instant messaging especially if you use more than one service.
    2. handbrake for converting movies to watch on my iPod Touch.

Also don't forget to get your copy of SL for $9.95 if you have it yet. It is a worthwhile upgrade.

Finally, I recommend Spire backpacks. They are a small company out of Boulder, CO and something you're not likely to see on campus. I've been using one of their backpacks for ~10 years of heavy use and it looks almost brand new.

Welcome to the cult of mac.