Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
So I have joined the club of "I kilt my iPhone." Well, rejoined. I did a number on my iPhone 4 without breaking the screen. Just dropped it at a gas station and the backlight eventually went out. This time I dropped it on my bathroom's tile floor -- face first. This is after I dropped it in the garage. I was using it as a flashlight in the garage, using it as a level in the bathroom.

I know, I need to invest in tools.

So I've signed up for an appointment at the local Apple Store to get the screen replaced. I like this folding wallet case I have for my phone because I have managed to stash six cards and a few bills in it with the ability to close the thing.

But since I have now dropped it twice in six months with damage -- the first time cracked the bottom right and put a tiny scruff on the face near the top right of the display -- I figure I need to get more practical. Since I still want to try to keep it as my wallet, I just ordered an Otterbox Commuter Wallet case. It only holds three cards and cash, but I figure I can put my student ID in my backpack since I only need it for vending machines and occasionally to use the city bus. I can put my secondary credit card back at home since it's the one I use for ApplePay and I needed it when my primary one was maxed out.

Anybody else got advice for NOT GOING THROUGH THIS AGAIN? I mean aside from just buying a damn flashlight and level. I bought about 8 LED flashlights at Harbor Freight after the flashlight episode. I suppose I'll pick up a level at Home Depot after this. I had just hoped to spend $109 of my overtime pay/tax refund toward my Apple Watch or anything else besides a new iPhone screen.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
Some people seem to tend to drop their phone more than others. For those a good case is required or lots of money to replace.

I've dropped my phones plenty before, but they usually had a decent case by like InCase. At least some plastic around it all and a slight lip to keep a direct face-to-ground impact from occurring. I dropped a phone face first on asphalt before and it had no damage.

But with this one I went with a bifold wallet case. It protects very well when closed, but when you're actually using it the face is VERY exposed. Both times I dropped it and cracks occurred, I was using it as a tool -- flashlight then level.

Thankfully Apple only charges $109 to replace the glass. Everything else looks fine. But I've realized I'm a dropper so I need to go more for protection. Hopefully the Otterbox model I ordered is a good compromise between protection and a functional wallet. If more people got aboard with Apple Pay, I wouldn't need so many cards. My workplace just added terminals on vending machines that take Apple Pay. Yes, my little tiny office now takes credit and Apple Pay on vending machines but giants like Home Depot, Target, Walmart, etc. are still holding out.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I've dropped my phones plenty before, but they usually had a decent case by like InCase. At least some plastic around it all and a slight lip to keep a direct face-to-ground impact from occurring. I dropped a phone face first on asphalt before and it had no damage.

But with this one I went with a bifold wallet case. It protects very well when closed, but when you're actually using it the face is VERY exposed. Both times I dropped it and cracks occurred, I was using it as a tool -- flashlight then level.

Thankfully Apple only charges $109 to replace the glass. Everything else looks fine. But I've realized I'm a dropper so I need to go more for protection. Hopefully the Otterbox model I ordered is a good compromise between protection and a functional wallet. If more people got aboard with Apple Pay, I wouldn't need so many cards. My workplace just added terminals on vending machines that take Apple Pay. Yes, my little tiny office now takes credit and Apple Pay on vending machines but giants like Home Depot, Target, Walmart, etc. are still holding out.

My friend has an Otterbox case and has deliberately dropped his phone to show its durability. It is the best case for your purpose. These things are expensive and you do want to protect them.

I have been lucky and only dropped mine one time in years but I still use the Sedio Surface which adds little size to the phone and only protects against life's scratches. It has a rubbery fell somewhat like the top of a Thinkpad year not soft so it attracts dirt.

Hope you have a good week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.