The first Mac product I've bought that's a complete lemon

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macDelirium, Jul 12, 2011.

1. macDelirium macrumors member

I cannot believe this. It's a $2200 joke.

1) Row of dead pixels,
    2) WiFi drops out semi frequently, where my old 2009 MBP has been totally fine.

Called AppleCare and a replacement will be sorted for me, but in all honesty I have never been so disappointed with an Apple product since the iPad 2 (light bleed problems). Feels a lot like Apple is becoming a premium price but not premium quality company.

*sigh*

2. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Seems like you got a lemon. Id expect the replacement to be perfect ;)

3. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Its a bit of a hit and miss at times.

Some products I have bought were perfect, others like the 27 imac, a complete disaster, and had to get 4 replacements.

At the end of the days they are just mass produced in China, like any other product.

For this reason I have stopped buying online and now get them from the store easier to return. As much as Apple claims to be more enviroement friendly, its kinda misleading when you have to organise replacement units.

A unit with a row of dead pixels should never leave the factory :(

4. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

your right thats alot of money to drop on something faulty. Hope your replacement works out better for you

5. macDelirium thread starter macrumors member

I know, it's not been great. Actually I just counted and it's 6 dead pixels in a column.

Other than that, and the WiFi issue, the MacBook runs very fast, I have the 256GB SSD and runs very cool. Also, and yes I know the dead pixels suck but the overall clarity and color saturation on the non-faulty areas of the screen are great! Actually looks better than my mid-2009 MBP panel...

6. macDelirium thread starter macrumors member

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Take a few minutes to search MacRumors and you will see similar statements dating back to 2003.

Search Google and you'll see major sites like ars.technica writing articles about Apples "quality issues" from that long ago, too.

Point is, Apple isn't "becoming" anything in regards to their less-than-perfect quality -- they have a pretty solid history. IMO, there hasnt ever been a correlation between price and perfection.

8. macDelirium thread starter macrumors member

Happily just checked my email and Apple has ordered a brand new replacement, even before my faulty MacBook Pro is picked up for replacement.

I guess if it was HP or Dell, it would be a different story.

9. randomrazr macrumors 65816

what kind of macbook did u get?

10. Kyllle macrumors 6502

I think they usually give you some kind of compensation gift if this happens like a Ram upgrade or free mouse, that's what I've heard from others.

Maybe that was just for ones that are completely dead, not just defective like yours.

11. macDelirium thread starter macrumors member

MBP 13", i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD :cool:

12. macDelirium thread starter macrumors member

All I really want is that the replacement is shipped to me ASAP. :eek:

13. h00ligan macrumors 68030

True. Read a leica forum dealing with digital offerings. ;)

14. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

That looks like dust or dirt behind the screen, not dead pixels. If they were dead, they would be completely black.

15. randomrazr macrumors 65816

holy crap, 256gb SSD? no wonder you paid 2200. i would have upgraded to a 15inch rather than an SSD :p

ive seen the 13inch with an SSD before though, tey are blazing fast, amazing what an SSD makes a difference.

because its customized, i "estimate" about a week before u get it back.

honestly, i think u can wait that long :p

16. macDelirium thread starter macrumors member

I travel a lot, a 15" MBP is too heavy and too large. :D

17. randomrazr macrumors 65816

ive had both, the 201013inch, soldit, bought 15inch.

u are right, 13inch much easier to carry but i like the 15inc screen size...and my QUAD CORE :p

none the less, u should def send it back while u stillhave the opporunity. the sooner u do it, the sooner u get a new one back

18. Cristian macrumors 6502

Cristian

Sucks to hear stories like this happening. In the past when I had a MacBook in 2005 and after about 1 year the logic board failed 3 times in a row with about 3 months in-between the 3 times it happened. It was time consuming waiting for a box, shipping it and then waiting for the new one to come.

From then on I bought all my Apple products from Best Buy. I love the warranties there. When my iPad 2 got a few dead pixels I returned it with no problems at the store. Now my iMac has one dead pixel. One more and it's going to be returned.

19. randomrazr macrumors 65816

like using the 14day thing or there own warrenty?

i think its better to buyat apple store

20. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Come on, you had a faulty pc, so what? If the new one they give you works, you're fine! Do you think machines are perfect? They make mistakes, they break, they're not indestructible. Do you think it's possible to make 10000 macbooks without a single one that doesn't work?

21. Cristian macrumors 6502

Cristian

Yea but I have my iMac covered for four years and iPad 2 covered for two years. It includes "accidents". Comes in handy when you have kids:p