Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satelitedzer

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
Hi R.Og,
so, in the basic 21" iMac there is not the connector for the blade SSD drive, just the traces.
I may presume that the high end 21" has the connector (with or without fusion).
Anyhow, even if there is no reason Apple does not provide it, I've not yet seen any teardown of the higher 21" iMac without fusion, so we cannot be definitely 100% sure the connector is there, as shown in your base 27" teardown.

My question:
Is the connector in the 27" iMac soldered to the board or can we dream and it is pluggable in some way?

Here in Italy the base 2012 iMac is 223 euros (not 100$) more than 2011 iMac and I do not want to pay 1829€ (about 2420$...) just for the luxury of having a fusion drive :eek:
I have a imac 21.5 "which for $ 1499's photo
0_6ab4b_bef3769a_XXL.jpeg.jpg

MuggeGHQ

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
Alright people.

I'm a little confused. I thought all new iMac had the 2.5" hard drive now but from what i can read here. Its only the 21" that have a 2.5 disc.
The 27" have a 3.5 disc. Is that right ?

Next question. Can you change the hard drive to a SSD easy in the 27" iMac 2012
I just bought a 27" 2012 3.2Ghz standard and didn't saw this about the new way the screen comes of. But thats alright, i can manage to take that of.
But can i just swop the 3.5" 1TB HD with a SSD without any extra stuff ?

Hope someone have a clean easy answer ;) thx everyone for info so far.

Satelitedzer

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
Alright people.

I'm a little confused. I thought all new iMac had the 2.5" hard drive now but from what i can read here. Its only the 21" that have a 2.5 disc.
The 27" have a 3.5 disc. Is that right ?

Next question. Can you change the hard drive to a SSD easy in the 27" iMac 2012
I just bought a 27" 2012 3.2Ghz standard and didn't saw this about the new way the screen comes of. But thats alright, i can manage to take that of.
But can i just swop the 3.5" 1TB HD with a SSD without any extra stuff ?

Hope someone have a clean easy answer ;) thx everyone for info so far.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1507713/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.