The Flash debate is getting old....

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vvswarup, Feb 27, 2011.

1. vvswarup macrumors 6502a

People, stop beating on a dead horse.

FACT, Apple is never going to allow Flash on iOS devices.

Yes, it would be nice if customers could choose to enable/disable Flash on iOS devices. But then again, consumers do have a choice-to not buy an iPad. No one is forcing you to buy an iPad. It's not a secret that Apple devices do not play Flash content and that is not going to change.

No one did Apple or Steve Jobs a favor by buying an iPad. They bought one because they believed they're getting good value for their money, simple as that. Also, as I mentioned, the lack of Flash has always been public information, so no one misled you.

Also, hold Adobe to the same standards that you hold Apple to, because both companies are businesses. Many have said that Apple excludes Flash to protect App Store revenue. Well, you might not know this but Adobe doesn't want HTML5 to emerge because it wants to protect Flash revenue. Both companies want to protect their profits. If you want to vilify Apple for doing what any business does, then do the same for Adobe.

2. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

Yes, but Apple will have some serious problems in the future when all the other tablets will offer the FULL internet experience, not some sucky mobile phone crippled experience.

My guess is that Apple will have no choise, but to implement Flash in the future and I´m sure they will.

And then I get to laugh to all those who said that Flash is dead and it´s never going to be on iPad. :D

3. Chilean.Miner macrumors member

Chilean.Miner

flash to html5 conversion will get simpler or happen on the fly.

there will be no flash on apple ipad

4. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

It depends... Transition takes time. I won't lie - as annoying as Flash can be sometimes - there are a few vital web sites I frequent and requires flash support. So I do wish there was a solution besides lugging my MBP... If I had the cash for a MacBook Air... Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. ApplesAOranges, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

Hahahahaha!!!!!! I laugh at you in advance. :D

But even if you are right, Apple will lose millions in sales because of this problem. Stubbornness and stupidity will cost a high price.

6. SingaporeStu macrumors regular

Oh, what's a few million lost compared to the BILLIONS they continue to make every quarter, in spite of not supporting Flash…

Meanwhile, the other companies make how much with their devices that do support Flash?

7. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I can't stand people so full of themselves. Who made you an expert? Wouldn't be surprise if you're some fourteen year old that's convinced Apple has to do what he thinks is the obvious answer.

8. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

Says "Goldinboy17". :p

Apple can do whatever they want, but being the only company with a crippled web experience in a tablet... I think it´s pretty safe to say that, it´s not a very smart business decision. You may disagree of course.

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Yeah, that really hurt with the iPhone. Oh wait...

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

What is getting old is threads like this saying there is no way Apple will ever do flash. Apple has, in the past, enjoyed being the only game in town, that is soon to change! I bet Steve Jobs will look at this in a year and reconsider.

Flash is getting more and more popular so all you nay sayers that say it is dead are simply stupid. It is only dead on Apple devices!

12. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

The great thing is that there will finally be a landslide of tablets that will be able to run Flash. Those who think Flash is the end all, be all of tablet computing will finally have a device and if enough people think it's great, the iPad will get left behind.

Do I think this will end the debate? Unfortunately not.

13. ApplesAOranges macrumors 6502

iPhone is much different thing, you keep it in your pocket with you all the time. iPad on the other hand is much closer to MBA for example. Who wants to have a laptop size screen with a iPhone web? I mean seriously? It´s just a disgrace!

Please think!

14. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Welcome to macrumors, Mr. January joiner. Anybody who parrots the "full internet" marketing language is astroturfing. Not to mention forgetting that the flagship android tablet FAILED TO SHIP with flash. Why don't you wait and see if the android manufacturers can get it working before you mouth off here?

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Hummmm.....so you START a thread to tell people NOT to beat a dead horse and you expect what kind of replies?:D Sounds like you are handing out whips. Irony at it's best.:eek:

16. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Apple will likely not have Flash on their iOS products, I agree.

But I think its good to have the *option* of having Flash if you want it, so its a shame that it won't be there on iOS products.

Personally, I'd likely keep it turned off, I'm not a fan of Flash. But to have it available when needed, would be really nice.

17. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed. There are sites that you cannot physically use without Flash and that's that.

There are a host of live antique auctions on in the UK, and these auctions around the country as well as people bidding in the sale room, also host the auctions on the internet, so people can bid on the lots, live, against the people actually in the sale room.

This system supports many auction houses around the UK and runs on a flash based system. So if you don't have flash you cannot use it. End of story.

As you say, you should be able to turn it on, just so you could use this site, perhaps for 30 mins, and then close flash off again.

It's a bizarre thing that people WANT things to not work.

The crazy thing is of course, if Apple fully supported Flash and Microsoft did not that most Flash haters here would feel exactly the opposite.

18. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Flash on the iPad will not happen.
    TBH its absence on the iPad has caused me no problems whatsoever, I`d rather have a 10 hour battery life.
    Just need the pron sites to move onto HTML5 now :D

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

More and more popular? Lolz. Thanks for the laugh.

20. AirForceOne macrumors member

You guys are all missing the point. Apple/Jobs does not keep Flash off Apple products for political reasons or to foster fanboy arguments on the internet. It's because the douche-bags at Adobe are lazy ***** who are unprofessional.

I was going to buy the iPad 2 but ended up going with the Xoom. Hell, you want Flash on an Apple product? I don't even have it on my Motorola Xoom!!!

The same reasons Jobs has always disallowed Flash on Apple products still exists: namely, Adobe employees are idiots who cannot be counted on to produce a product.

I LOVE my Xoom but am pissed at Adobe, because as usual, they are not ready with their product at launch.

Motorola has the hardware ready, Google has a brand new OS ready, but the dumb asses at Adobe need weeks to ready one damn program after having MONTHS to get it ready. All they do is Flash. It's like going to McDonalds and being told they need weeks to make you a hamburger. The only reason they exist is to make you hamburgers yet they cannot do it? Well that's Adobe for you.

You really believe Adobe will have a new version of Flash ready and working every time Apple updates iOS??? Yeah right, which is exactly why Apple is not getting Flash anytime soon. They CANNOT BE COUNTED ON! Google is willing to tolerate this, which at the end of the day I am glad because I use Flash content heavily on my Android devices(well, the ones that actually have it working)...but it should be obvious to anyone by now that Jobs is not willing to put up with it.

And this whole thing about battery life, etc.., is just another stupid ass talking point by people who have no idea what they are talking about. You can turn Flash off ANYTIME you want, or, you don't even have to install it. It has NOTHING to do with why Apple does not use it.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Flash doesn't affect battery life unless you're on a page that uses it in a highly intensive way. Same goes for YouTube videos, HTML5 games, using WiFi, push mail, Pandora, music or whatever. I'd rather be able to turn it on for the times that _I_ choose to.

It's like getting a car in a cold climate with an air conditioner. Most of the time it's not used and doesn't hurt gas mileage. But oh man, when you need it, you're sure happy to take the hit.

Google just showed off Honeycomb for the first time in January. The final Honeycomb SDK just came out four days ago.

Sure, Adobe might've had some preview code, but why is when Apple delays software to get it right, they're smart... but if anyone else does, they're "dumb asses"?

You think all that Adobe does is Flash? Here's their product list.

22. AirForceOne macrumors member

sigh....I knew SOMEONE would take me literally. Ok.

remember my Mcdonald's analogy? Well, McD's also makes fries, and McNuggets, and cheeseburgers and McRibs, and blah blah blah....

but what they REALLY do is burgers, just like what Adobe REALLY does is FLASH...it's what 99.9% of the population use from Adobe day in and day out...it's what 99.9% of the population updates on their computer on a regular basis.

and I didn't call Google dumb asses, I called adobe dumb asses..and the reason they are not "smart" is because this is a regular occurrence for them. A day late and a dollar short should be their moto.

hey man, like I said, I LOVE Flash content...it's one of the man reason I chose Xoom over iPad, but Adobe needs to get their **** together and start producing in a timely manner.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Creating new threads keeps the argument fresh.

24. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

I agree, it would be nice to have the option even though I think Flash is awful. Below is a quote I saw from the BBC and bringing the iPlayer as an app:

"For iPad it's straightforward, but for technical reasons we can't bring the app to every single Android device. To download and use the app you'll need a device that uses Android version 2.2 and has Adobe Flash 10.1 Player installed. Our Flash streams need a powerful mobile phone processor and a Wi-Fi connection to ensure a smooth viewing experience, which means that only newer, more powerful Android 2.2 devices connected via Wi-Fi can support the Flash 10.1 streaming experience."

Now to me that puts Flash in a really bad light and makes me completely understand why Apple don't use Flash. If they started using it and Safari crashed, or was unresponsive or the battery life was severely affected, then it would make Apple look bad because of another company's product. The average user doesn't know how Flash performs and that it's dated and they will be the ones who think that Apple have made something that doesn't work properly.

25. Cha macrumors regular

I understand what you are trying to get at... but Flash overall is a very small % of Adobe's total revenue slice (~5%). As opposed to the comparison with McD, burgers (and fries) are a much bigger piece of of the overall financial picture.

As a company, it would be extremely irresponsible to focus a large amount of resources compared to the margin of profit it does (or can) generate. When you say the word "Adobe", a couple of products come to mind in my head before Flash... Photoshop and Acrobat...

Flash for me is still associated with Macromedia... (in my head...)